Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TedP, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Here lies the problem. I have the 18-200 VR lense I got with my D200. I like the lense but don't love it. Good lens but just not right for my type of photography. My boss has the 80-220 2.8 ED lens which he lent me to try. Well, I fell in love with this lens. What great glass. Now I want one.(and I thought my LBA was satisfied) I am almost positive now that I am going to sell the 18-200 VR to finance the 80-200 but I know down the line I'll regret it since they are hard to find at a decent price. I never thought I would ask this question on the forum but has anyone else been in this situation?

2. Ted,

I love the 18-200 and sold it to either buy a 70-200 or a 17-55, the 18-200 is a terrific lens but left me wanting more. I settled on the 17-55 as a first buy but debated very long and hard between a longer reach or widder pictures...

I don`t think you will regret it. You can always get another 18-200 down the road.
  3. I have the 18-200. When doing my due diligence before buying my D80 I read great things about this lense. I waited on buying my D80 until I finally found the 18-200. When I did I bought it along with my D80 body. Since then I have bought the 70-200vr and have a 17-55 that is a friends but on loan. I thought that my 18-200 may go by the wayside but after a month of neglect I have found myself back in its good graces. It is the jack of all trades/master of none. Lighter that the other 2 lenses and extremely convenient. Sure for certain specific applications I throw the 17-55 or 70-200 on but for a walk around the 18-200 is a great tool.

I can understand if it doesn't work in certain applications but if you can, I would hold on to it and keep it as the most versatile lense.

I am on the cusp of buying a 17-35 so my opinion may change but I have found that when I don't know exactly what I will be facing it is nice to have the 18-200 mounted.
  4. feilb

Jul 11, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I definately know your situation. Just recently i sold my 18-200 because though it was a nice lens, versatile and a decent performer in many aspects, it just didnt get me excited to use it. I'm more used to fast primes and this lens was everything but. So i sold it and am replacing it with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, a 105mm f/2.8 VR, and someday a wide angle of the sigma or tokina persuasion. It just made more sense for me. Like was mentioned, you can always pick one up at a later date. While they arent in stores frequently, there are still a few bopping around.

5. Thanks for the feedback guys. But I just sold the item on the for sale forum. I know what you mean about the 18-200 being a good walk around lens but I find myself using my 35-135 for most of my walk around shots. The 35-135 didn't get a sterling review by Bjorn on his site but I'll tell you that it is one of the sharpest lenses I have, I may have lucked out there.No lens creep no dings or dents and the glass is pristine. I got lucky.Well anyway I bought the 80-200 and can't wait for it to get here.

6. Congrats Ted, you will love it, I can't wait to see some of the pictures taken with it.