Dimwitted confession for the week:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chad Gladstone, May 20, 2005.

1. Updated D70 firmware flawlessly. Attempted to AF. No AF. Proceeded to send in camera for service. Realized that I had set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF ON in CM #15 testing focus trap the night before. Unpacked camera and told wife I fixed it myself. She now thinks I'm a genius.

2. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Almost a genius

Well almost a genius - you just posted it on the web for the world to see! Good catch though...

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Things that make you go hmmm

Good thing you found the problem, huh? Would've been pretty awful to have sent the cam in to Nikon, only to have them tell you it was a simple case of USER ERROR!
    If it makes you feel any better, I just got a new Tokina 12-24 lens, and couldn't get it to AF. After several attempts iincluding camera setting checks, dismounts/mounts, and much swearing, I discovered the fix. The focusing ring needed to be PUSHED forward into it's AF position! It was set to Manual focus at the factory! Like an idiot, I was PULLING on it, thinking that would get it to AF.

4. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Chad,
    good catch.
    When I worked for Circuit City (an electronics chain) People would return things that were not broken simply because they couldn't use it. It happened so much that there was actually a return code for it. ESO- Equipment Superior to Operator.

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hmmm... Seems to me that if the equipment is not intuitive, its a bad design.

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I'm pretty dimwitted all the time so I don't hardly ever realize my blunders.

But last nite a friend came over and the hamster was running on his little wheel thing and squeeking away. and my friend asks "what is that squeeking noise." To which I replied "its that dumb hamster running on his wheel - it's sooooo annoying and I can hear it from my desk all nite long."

You know what he says to me? He goes "why don't you just oil it?" So I put a couple drops of oil on it and voila! It's silent! Doh...

I swear I'm the dumbest in the family. My little brother takes an IQ test and scores like 214 or something (I can't remember, but he's a genious). So I take the same one and score like 80 (a bit below average).

Juz call me "Homer" - my screen name Gregory Homer (as in Simpson)!