Ding Darling and Corkscrew Swamp...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Went with Bernie Campoli and met Gaye Johnson at Ding Darling last thursday. Unfortunately, the sun was always on the wrong side of the birds, but here are some DD shots. It was fun to shoot with Bernie and Gaye. I plan to get over there to shoot with her again, after the holidays:

original.
    original.

Corkscrew had many Red Shouldered Hawks in courtship, and lots of Pileated Woodpeckers. I need to get used to these big lenses, and wish I had brought my better beamer....

original.
    original.
    no getting a better view on this one, he was well hidden...
    original.
    on the way home, stopped for this one:
    original.

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    You got some good shots, Harris. Now let's get Bernie's images taken with his 800mm lens onto this thread.

Both Harris and I had the 200-400VR lens. Here are a few of my images taken that day at Ding Darling at Sanibel Island. The lighting was awful because the low tide was at 2PM and the sun was blazing. We had to fight to get good light and actually most of the pictures were taken at sunset. We stayed until dark:smile:

The colors were much more vivid in original photos.I forgot to put these into sRGB.

47704250-L.

47704247-L.

47940164-L.

3. way to go you guys, even with challenging light you did well. It had to be fun to get together.
    Dave

4. Harris, all I see is red x's :confused:

Gaye, awesome job, luv the vivid colors, you handled the light esquisitely in tough conditions. Im sure they dont give the originals justice. Man am I jealous of you Floridians!!!!!! Just waiting for some seat sales to come on. LOL :biggrin:

5. Keith,

Hit the refresh once or twice, then you'll see em..

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, I can finally see them. Nice work under less than ideal conditions, Harris and GJ! Wish I could'a been there with you guys!

7. Nice love the hawk shots looks like a promising place!

8. Nice shots. I really like the hawk. The composition, lighting, overall sharpness, and wide open eye makes it my favorite.

9. Gaye...I just love the Spoonbill. One of my favorite birds...I think they are so pretty with those pink/red feathers.

10. Gaye, great series. I wish I were back in Florida every time I see this type of posting. I missed to going to Ding Darling, did't have time on my recent trip.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Harris and Gaye. I can't wait for February. :smile:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gaye and Harris,
    Beautiful images from you both.
    So glad you were all able to get together.
    Must have been a great day for sure.

13. What a great collection looks like you found some new places to go hang out!!!!

14. Thanks all...

I'm gonna go back to Corkscrew, and to some folks house in Venice. They have an eagles nest in the backyard, 150' away. Perhaps when Mike comes down, he'll join me. I think Frank said he was interested. Just a day trip.

will post more soon

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks to you all for the nice comments.

If any of you get down to the southwest coast of Florida be sure to contact me. I'm near Ding Darling Sanctuary...and Corkscrew is about 45 minutes away to the south. Venice Rookery is up the road about an hour north of me.

Harris, let us know how you did Corkscrew. Did you go backwards on the path or did you go the other way around? I've never gotten all the way around but think I'll start backwards next time down there. What was your experience with it?

Also, let us know about what's going on up at the Rookery. Hope Bernie will let us know also. I don't want to go up there until I know it's full of nests and chicks.

Gaye

16. Gaye,

I went to the left, clockwise, and went to the cut off 1/2 mile , part way up. then it took me to the return on the other side, but I backtracked then to the marsh lookout area, the cabbage type plant area etc, then reversed and went back towards the main bldg. I sort of cut out maybe 1/2 mile in the far end of the loop. Crazy, but I saw a lot.

I'll call you when I go back, and hope you'll join me.

Harris

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

great images all the way around!

19. Well Ben, if you come over, we can take you on a first hand tour.....:rolleyes: