Dipping Toe Into Film...

...and thinking of getting a Nikon N2020 or N75 (N80...90....?) just to start (both are insanely inexpensive), eventually working my way to the F series if I find success. Does anyone have experience with either of these cameras or similar models?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2013

To BBD,

To the best of my knowledge the N75 Nikon camera was released around 2003, I think the Nikon 2020 is an even earlier model.

There were two versions of the N75, the regular version which was silver colored and the all black version which has the little digital date/clock printing device which printed the date various formats, or the clock setting which only printed the date number followed by the time in the lower right of the picture for horizontal shots and in the upper left for vertical shots.

There is one design fluke with the N75. When you loaded a roll of film, it forwarded to the end of the roll, and as each picture was taken it was wound back into the film cartridge. This made sure that if the camera door was opened in error, that your previous exposures would not be lost.

I would recommend buying the 4AA battery grip for the N75 as it balanced the camera better in the user's hands and it lets you use cheaper AA alkaline batteries in place of more expensive CR-2 lithium batteries.

You may also want to consider a Nikon N80, if you can find one it is a bit more rugged build, and it has a few more custom function settings including a grid pattern which can be turned on or off in the viewfinder.

There are 3 versions of the 80 camera, the regular version, one with the digital time date version, and a 3rd version called the F80s which printed technical information between negative frames vertically, like the F5, but the F80s version was sold mainly in Europe.

I have seen sometimes on Ebay N80 cameras some with or without that digital date clock inprint selling for less then N75 cameras. Good luck to you.

Steve Zalewski,
Nikoncafe member,
Syracuse Camera Club member,
and amateur astronomer
Syracuse, NY

Thanks! That's a ton of good info, right there.

Oooooh, let's add the N90 to the mix......

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck on your choices Gary. These cameras are all readily available at fairly low prices but going with a responsible source is important as it costs way more to repair than to replace.

Good luck on your choices Gary. These cameras are all readily available at fairly low prices but going with a responsible source is important as it costs way more to repair than to replace.

Thanks. Yep, I'm probably going with KEH, but I've found a couple of seemingly reputable dealers on Amazon, too. ebay looks to be a joke in this arena....

Wow...got pics from the Amazon sellers who said their cameras were in "Very Good" condition and they look like KEH BGN condition...or worse.

I'm pulling the trigger on the EX condition N2020 from KEH. I love the old school(-ish) rangefinder(-ish) look, the performance looks to match my needs, and I think it'll pair VERY well with my 105mm and a couple of other lenses.

Nice choice Gary. I hope you enjoy it. Now on to film choices....Don't forget some of the "bargain" films like Fuji SuperiaX -- the 400 ASA has great colors. XP2 is wonderful for B&W, as is Tri-X. Enjoy

Nice choice Gary. I hope you enjoy it. Now on to film choices....Don't forget some of the "bargain" films like Fuji SuperiaX -- the 400 ASA has great colors. XP2 is wonderful for B&W, as is Tri-X. Enjoy

Thanks. Just ordered 2 different Ilford B&W (one 100, the other 400) and a Fujifilm 400. I think this is gonna be fun...

Real Name
Chris

I'm pulling the trigger on the EX condition N2020 from KEH. I love the old school(-ish) rangefinder(-ish) look, the performance looks to match my needs, and I think it'll pair VERY well with my 105mm and a couple of other lenses.

It's an old-school slr look. "Ish" because this is the first Nikon camera to combine auto-film winding, and auto-focus. I consider this Nikon's first modern camera. The only thing it doesn't have is "electrical film" as they (might have) called digital back then.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it Gary.

Thanks. Just ordered 2 different Ilford B&W (one 100, the other 400) and a Fujifilm 400. I think this is gonna be fun...

I'd recommend shooting the 400 speed Ilford film first if it is the one called XP-2 plus. You can get this film developed in more places than you can Ilford's other films, HP-5 and Delta 400 (and Delta 100.) Otherwise shoot the Fujicolor first.

Have fun!

It's an old-school slr look. "Ish" because this is the first Nikon camera to combine auto-film winding, and auto-focus. I consider this Nikon's first modern camera. The only thing it doesn't have is "electrical film" as they (might have) called digital back then.

Exactly. I thought about going full manual, but those bodies were more expensive and seemed trickier, given my experience and skill level and considering this may just be an experiment. Then again, looking at the potential results....

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it Gary.

Thanks. I anticipate at least one "Back of Lens Cap" series. :smile:

I'd recommend shooting the 400 speed Ilford film first if it is the one called XP-2 plus. You can get this film developed in more places than you can Ilford's other films, HP-5 and Delta 400 (and Delta 100.) Otherwise shoot the Fujicolor first.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips and I plan to do just that! I may start by revisiting some favorite spots and comparing the results to my digital pics.

FINALLY! It's "out for delivery," so it'll be here today. Unfortunately...I'm off to work , so won't be able to play with it.

An aside: I received the Ilford 100 and 400 B&W film, yesterday, but the boxes were opened, like the tab had been cut. And one of the canisters had popped off a bit. Sloppy, Amazon...sloppy.

From the First Roll: Fuji Superia X-tra 400

These are all from the unedited digital scans of the negatives. I'm pretty happy, so far. :smile: I had a few poor shots, but clearly they were my fault, not the camera or film.

I don't know if my hobby just became more expensive or less. :biggrin:

8759207119_d7417cf62e_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R1-06076-001A by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

8759205539_a7f13e71f3_c.jpg

R1-06076-012A by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

8760329852_8700c1ca5c_c.jpg

R1-06076-011A by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

8759204417_2670773a0b_c.jpg

R1-06076-019A by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

8760328576_e8002beb90_c.jpg

R1-06076-015A by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

Very nice shots you got there Gary,I think your hobby just got a lil more expensive

Very nice photographs Gary. I like your compositions and always enjoy the color delivered by this terrific film.

Very nice photographs Gary. I like your compositions and always enjoy the color delivered by this terrific film.

Thanks! I have a 200 speed Fuji I'm anxious to try as well.

Oh, more expensive, for sure! :tongue: Nice shots. Where did you get them developed/scanned?

Thanks. I had a feeling.... Believe it or not, out local Walgreens developed them...in an hour, no less.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom