Direct relationship between flash bracket and overheating (melting) SB800?

I don't think the flash bracket can have anything to do with it. The overheating comes from two factors: the power used (i.e. shooting TTL at small apertures will crank up that power quickly), and the time between shots (a lot of bursts in short order means less time to cool off).

What kind of batteries are you using? I stick with Eneloops but had to use lesser quality ones in a pinch once and it got hot that time. Sb700 though.

I have never had a sb-800 fail due to any sort of over heating problem. I have fired them as fast as they could manage untill the batt began to fail. Droped in fresh batts and let the fun begin again. If you are not yet using rechargable batts well let today be the day you start. You will save a lot of money. I too like the Eneloops. They hold their charge better than the others when not in use. I have several flash brackets that I use with both the 28 and 29 cords.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Ditto the comments that a bracket will have nothing to do with overheating an SB800.

But I can assure you that it is possible to fry an 800. I learned that the hard way. I was using the 800 powered by a Quantum battery and was absolutely abusing it. Machine gunning like crazy. My fault entirely so I have no beef with Nikon. Never bothered to send it in for service. Involved melted parts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom