1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Directional Mic for D500 Video

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by mdnativ, Mar 1, 2017.

1. I started using shooting video (daughter's volleyball games) with my D500 a few months ago. When she is on the court, I shoot isolation video of her. The built-in mic captures sounds right around the camera including a ton of loud white noise, me and many other parents. I would like to capture more sounds from court action. The camera/tripod is 15-30' from the action (depending where the ball is on the court).

Can anything be done about the loud white noise?

My budget is < $125.

Thanks in advance. :) 

2. 22fstops

22fstops

Aug 18, 2010
    USA
  3. Does this fit on a hotshoe mount?

I swear the girls talk about boys passing by when they are playing. It would be interesting to capture what the head coach is saying. Maybe I can get him to buy the wireless component :) )

I initially looked at Rode directional mics on Amazon.

I love this place. Top shelf A+++ suggestions to spend other people's $$$. I discovered the world of sound capture is as pricey as the world of image capture. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will need to save a few more bucks :) 

4. Hey - We're here to help :) 

5. Dam the budget!!! Full speed ahead. After more reading and suggestions, this is what I'm seeing...

(1) Shure VP83 LensHopper
    (2) Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser
    (3) Tascam DR-10SG
    (4) Sennheiser MKE 400 from Luke
    (5) Audio-Technica AT8024 from Sean
    (6) Soundshark from 22Stops

The stereo capability is interesting but not for my specific need.

6. Woo hoo!! I'm highjacking and resurrecting my own thread.

I ended up buying higher end, the Shure VP83F. Now I have a bunch of questions.

1. When you connect an external mic, you automatically disable the D500 internal mic, right?
    2. The internal mic is disabled but the D500 internal controls still control the gain and input? I believe this is also correct.
    3. So if the ext mic has pre-amp (which is often better than the internal mic pre-amp), the goal is to use that in conjunction with the D500 mic internal controls to find a good balance. I could not find a way to disable the internal mic yet accept input from the ext mic.

So set the D500 mic internal controls to be able to record the ext mic then use the ext mic low-pass filter and pre-amp/gain settings to get a good, low interference audio recording.

Is there any YT video or blog post on doing this? This would point me in the right direction. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.