Directv reception question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allan, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I am interested in comments from those who have Directv on recpetion loss in inclement weather.

Years ago - perhaps a dozen I got rid of Directv due to signal loss. I have had cable ever since. I recently compared prices and I can get a much better package from Directv for less than I am paying for cable.

The only thing that "scares" me is reception problems.

What I have heard is that mounting on the garage is more stable than a pole which is much better for reception. I have also heard it is a good idea to get their $6 a month plan to make sure they will come out if you need a tweak.

Any other ideas or comments are appreciated.

2. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Can't comment on Direct but I have Dish Network. The weather's really got to be bad for it to go out. Those commercials from cable companies are highly exxagerated. IMO. I like mine and will never go back to cable.

3. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Signal strength is all about how well your Dish is setup and pointed. I usually do my own..if you get a signal str of 80%+ even in bad weather you will never loose signal. If the installer is lazy and its not exact...say like 70% or less....a strong wind can make you loose reception.

There are other factors too of corse like line of sight (if trees and buildings). There is not difference in reception between dish and directv..it all about the where the dish is pointed.

4. As long as the line of site between the dish and satellites are not obstructed it does not matter where it is mounted. I would avoid penetrating any roofs, that could lead to leaks. You could also lose signal if there is heavy storm activity between your dish and their satellites. That used to happen to me.

5. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    With the standard dish you will get rain fade. Buy a slightly larger dish, if you want less chance of signal loss. The larger dish won't eliminate the problem completely. If you have a strong storm, you will lose the signal. However, for average storms there should be an improvement.

Basic cable service in my area costs less than satellite. I canceled my DirecTV subscription long ago. Rain fade was a major factor in my decision. I prefer a a content-driven model of viewing anyway.

6. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I also have Dish network and only get rain fade in very severe weather. As far as mounting the dish goes, the only reason I could see that mounting on a roof would be better is that you might have a less obstructed view being higher up.

7. our direct tv dish was perfectly aimed
    but.... we'd lose reception all the time in cloudy weather... let alone severe storms
    this was 3 years ago
    that's why i went back to cable

however....
    i've sacrificed infinite HDTV channels..... cable has nothing to offer in comparison
    so.....
    IS direct tv better than it used to be?

8. I've had DirecTV since it was introduced about 14 years ago, still have my original 'small' dish.
    Weather is a minor problem. Only a handful of times a year will I lose the signal and that is usually only for a brief time.

IMO nothing compared to the hassles my mother has when she has cable problems.

OTH she does get faster internet access via cable than I do with DSL.

I installed the system myself (back then there was no such thing as free installation.
    It is mounted on the side of the house in a less than optimum location
    but aestically pleasing.
    Once I got it aligned with the satelites there has been no need for 'tweeking'. I have NEVER needed any sort of service
    from DTV.
    My advice... save the $72 per year.

Don

9. Something must have been wrong or there must have been more than just moisture in those clouds.

I've had mine since the inception and it takes a deluge or super heavy snowfall to get the signal to drop.

Don

10. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I was forced to go with satellite when I built my house five years ago and I chose directv. In five years the price has almost doubled ($36 up to $68) for the same service. As for reception, it is poor and has been getting worse. Bad weather, even cloudy weather is when it is worst. It's not a line of site issue, as I live on the top of a mountain and have a clear view of the sky. Perhaps it is a hardware issue, but since I've been waiting for my agreement to expire for a few months, I didn't bother having them come out. Cable has been installed on the road and next month I can finally make the switch. :smile:

11. I concur with Chris. Dropped Direct TV and went with Bright House and saved about $10/mo. Also, signal here in central Florida during bad thunderstorms dropped out until the storm passed or subsided. Plus, I get local weather "on the 8's" from the Weather Channel instead of national weather during that segment. YMMV

12. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I had a horrible experience with Direct TV. We used lose reception every time we had a storm, if it was cloudy, if a plane or helicopter ( we have a regional trama center near by). I had them out no less than 7 times in a 3 month period. So many times that they let us out of the 2 year agreement. After that we went with FIOS and have been loving it ever since.

Dan

13. On reception it seems I am getting 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :)  It really does seem like an installation issue but who knows how good the installers are.

Direct TV is cheaper here. For about $10 more than what I pay cable for the good but non premiums plus HBO, I can get almost everything Direct TV offers.

But it is hard to make a choice as there is a 2 year contract.

14. Dan - I looked at FIOS but they aren't here yet.

15. hmmmmmm
    that does make me wonder
    maybe it's time to RE-DISH my house

1 more thing
    because i want DVRs in 3 rooms....
    doesn't the box need separate cables for each "feed?"
    doesn't that mean 6 cables going to the 1 dish for 3 DVRs?

16. I have Dish HDTV and it is great. I have only lost signal twice in the last year and that was just for a small increment of time. Some of my neighbors have Direct TV and there signal is good as well. I like my service much better than Cable.

17. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    We got rid of Direct TV due to a better deal with our local cable company since they started offering phone, internet, and TV. While we had it though, about 25% of the time it rained, there would be hickups in the signal that made it virtually unwatchable. When it rained hard it would go out entirely. We are in a heavily wooded area however. Never had a huge issue with snow, but then again we haven't had a real heavy snow in years that I can recall.
    I have friends that have had worse problems with Dishnetwork. Again, we all live in wooded areas, so I'm sure that's part of the problem.

18. We lose reception just a few times a year for just a few minutes during severe thunderstorms. Even more rarely, ice build up on the dish can interrupt our service, but I suspect that won't be a problem for you. :wink:

19. These replies pretty much sum up my exp. with DTV. I am also in a heavy forest, if you saw it you would say there is noway i could have a signal, but we only lose it during the heaviest of rain, and then at times we only lose certain channels. The coordinates are on in the system, just take a compass and check out the dish setting. i put mine up 14 years ago and have not touched it except to replace the module on the dish.

20. You need the 5 LNB dish and only real thunderstorms will mess with your reception.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.