DirecWay or Other Satellite Internet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I am currently searching for a faster connection to the net. Currently, I use dial-up @ 26.4k! YUK! I just cannot take it anymore! And Nope. No DSL or cable modems out where I live. Yes - we do have indoor plumbing and electricity most of time. Hah!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with DirecWay or any other brand of satellite internet service? These things are quite a bit more per month than DSL or cable modem service but, I think these are the only choices I have right now. The phone company told me 3 years ago that DSL would be eventually be available where I live. Yeah right!

If you do use or have any comments/suggestions please let me know.

Thx.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I know someone that has been using DirecWay for some time. He would not still be using them if they were not okay....

The only caveat that I have for any of the high speed services, is that I prefer that they also have dial-up access for travel purposes, and "emergency" access, for when the high speed is down. Where I am there is both cable and DSL. The cable system has no other access. My DSL has dial-up access with local numbers in most major metro areas, and 800 service if I needed it. So when I travel I can access it.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I installed DirectWay at my dad's home on Smith Lake. No other option available for high speed access. It is better than dialup but not as good as cable or dsl.

The mandatory proxy settings required for Dway access are a pain unless you are router savvy. Some sites do not work properly through Dway unless you modify your proxy settings in IE or Firefox. For instance, placing orders on the Internet for stuff.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help or forum member Greg could also help as he as a dway unit as well.

Just be sure to get the NON USB version of the Dway transmitter. They are capable of being connected wireless access points and are easier to network with other computers in your home.

Good Luck!

4. Directway seems to be a bit pricey. $600 up front for the equipment and then $60 month for a minimum of 15 months.

If you don't buy the dish up front then it is $90 a month for 15 months.

Heavy rains block the signal. We have Direct TV because I live where there is no DSL or cable available.

I am stuck with dialup. Usually I can get on at 49.2

Russ

5. Pricey is right. That is one reason why I have not really thought about this option too much. I do have a dedicated phone line for dial-up right now so I do pay about $50/month already. So other than the big up front costs it would not be that much more a month for me. At least that is what I am trying to tell my wife anyway.

Now that I am rapidly becoming addicted to photography (actually had the disease for 4 years now) and the prognosis is for this addiction is to get worse, I am considering this expensive option. Especially since, I am now a member of this forum and Texas Photo Forum and enjoy in participating in both these groups.

Thanks for the comments - more are welcomed of course.

6. Mark

I have a dedicated second line for the computer but the fee is less than half of what you are paying.

Russ

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Yup, I'm in the country and dial up was connecting at 28.8 if lucky. Even went so far as to replace ALL the phone lines and junction boxes to no avail. Ma Bell couldn't tell me anything as to schedule for dsl.

Even had a dedicated 2nd line.

Finally bit the bullet and got the dway. I figured in deducting the cost of the extra dedicated line. makes the monthly seem more bearable.

I have the office on cable and have it max'd out on up and download speeds. It is a lot faster than Dway but then my direcway was spitting out 176 down this weekend. that's a far cry better than 28.8.

I wouldn't even use my computer at home on dial up. My wife would use it but complained about speed constantly. Now am running two computers hooked through a router via network. you do have a bit more lag time as you are going to the satelite both ways but really not noticeable in comparison. adn yes it drops the signal in heavy rain.

I say go for it if you spend mor ethan an hour a day on the net.

8. Slow is right.

I picked a bad hobby. Photo's can require a whole bunch of bandwidth.

Some threads I just give up on for the sake of time. I know am missing out on some great work from some of you.

Why couldn't I be into chat rooms or some other text based hobbies :?:

I will be checking into this more tomorrow. And hopefully get approval from the boss lady.

At work I have DSL but, I really do not have time to look at forums or post pics.

Thanks for everyone's comments.