DirtBikers (2 photos)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by cajun angel, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Well, it's been a year since I've shot dirtbikers, and I"m terribly out of practice! I'm invited to shoot a MX race next weekend, but due to my rustiness, dunno if I"ll accept it or not. The weather was a real challenge as a severe storm was moving in. So despite everything, I just couldn't get it right, and couldn't seem to hold my camera steady. Anyway, dunno why I'm posting these, I know I can do better after some refreshing practice, but anyway here they are.......

mxmark
    990771632_c53e9cbd54_b.

mxmark's co-worker
    View attachment 109322

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It seems as though because of the darks skies, your shutter speeds were low and your panning technique wasn't smooth enough. We all get rusty when shooting moving objects, so don't hang your head. Not sure how much you cropped, but move in closer if you can, the subject matter is the riders, not the landscaper behind. The closer that you are, the easier it may be to pan on the moving riders.

3. Thanks Frank! I was also very nervous, didn't have a plastic bag for my gear and just had an umbrella with me. I could have gotten to my favorite spot had it not been for the weather. THEN, I would have gotten much better, closer shots. As for cropping, I didn't crop much. I'm hoping for another chance before next weekend - IF I decide to do the MX race.

4. Hey shake off the rust you got nothing to worry about after 10 minutes on the course you will be back to your old ways,, go for it Dianne

5. add a tighter crop of 1rst pic

Okay, just cropped a bit tighter on the 1rst photo

990981620_24002b2718_o.

6. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mike! I hope next time to get into my favorite spot and shoot a way! The weather was one BIG factor in my not dong my best on top of being rusty! LOL

7. Dianne,
    I echo the above statements since it looks like you'll be on form in 5-10 minutes at the next shoot.
    One technique I can share with you is something I learned from years of shooting as a kid & boy scout. Both on the stationary range but for sure on the clay course. Find the spot where you'll probably shoot the action, position your body so that you're stable and set at that place, THEN pan your body & camera backwards to where you'll pick them up but DON'T move your feet. This way you are setting up your body and camera to make a smooth follow of the target.
    You also want to use a light and smooth trigger finger just like a stationary shot, and to breathe through it just like you're shooting a target sitting still.

Now go get some great shots and share!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  8. Thanks Steve! Your advice is well taken! I ususally ride my polaris trailboss atv to my favorite spot and shoot from it. And I never move my feet! I usually "pivet" from the waist. On race day, I may have to stand and if I do, I'll be shooting with my monopod. OR if there's a a good spot, I'll be on the trailboss as usual. Even though the MX isn't professional, they're doing a charity race. I'm thinking if I get enough interest in the photos, I may even donate part of my profits. The race is for special needs children. Thanks again, I'll do my best to do better!

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Welcome BACK Diane!

looking forward to your pics from the upcoming race. :biggrin:

and Thank You for posting pics of 2-strokes. :wink:

yea, I'm old school. :biggrin:

10. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Nice shots Diane, hopefully it will be like riding a bike for you when you attend the next MX event. Look forward to seeing your shots.
    We have confidence in you!:biggrin:

11. Thanks, Jim! One minute the hubby wants to sell his bike, and the next he's out riding it. Just wish the weather had been better! Oh well thanks for the vote of confidience!

Thanks Brian! I'm hoping we can get out and do some more shooting before I decide on the race on the 11th. It seems we also have other plans going, so I don't know exactly what we'll end up doing. August is a busy month for us with b-days. And thanks for the encouragement!