Disappointing day at the Butterfly exhibit (2 pics)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Steve S, May 11, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Went there expecting to see THIRTY SPECIES, and found only a few, many of which were either dying off, with torn wings, or repeats. I only processed these two. The Giant Moth was way up on the netting, so it was shot from about 20 ft away, looking up. Not enough DOF @f4.5 either. The Black & White was only about 8 ft away, and thankfully on a flat focal plane. All shot w/70-200vr

original.

Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 200 mm
    Exposure Time 1/350 sec
    Aperture f/4.5
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority

original.

Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 200 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/3.5
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority

2. Steve,

Nice pictures despite the shallow DOF. The #2 is sharp even at 3.5. Low light (hence larger apertures to have acceptable handheld shutter speeds) is a problem with interior butterflies show.

3. Very nice Steve!! :D :D :D

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I understand your disappointment at not seeing the number of species that you expected Steve, but all things considered, these are pretty good shots. The 70-200VR just continues to amaze. 8)

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys, not only were there not very many species

in the enclosure at the time of my visit, but an entire class of 2nd graders & a group of senior citizens came in about 5 mins after I got there. Dang ppl really got in the way! :evil:

6. Re: Thanks guys, not only were there not very many species

Steve, I understand your frustration about ppl getting in your way. In these kind of shows, I try to be early in the morning or at lunch time where ppl (especially children) is tired and going out to eat.