Disappointment upon return from England...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Retief, Dec 16, 2005.

1. So, I came home late yesterday afternoon expecting to find 3 new things this week. My wife's new car, scheduled to arrive 1st or 2nd week of December, a shipment from Jobu Design containing my new Black Widow and notification that I should go and pick up my D200. Well, the only one I could easily check when I got in, and by far the most important, was the D200. So, I call the store, and they tell me that it doesn't look like I have made the cut for the first shipment and they don't know when the next batch will be in, but if I am lucky, check back in a couple of days, maybe someone won't want theirs and I am "real close". So, I catch the shuttle home and find out that NONE of them have arrived yet. Decide to go out and shoot something anyway, so I bundle up me, the D2H and the 500mm and head out the door, about 12:30PM today. Notice I have a voice mail, so I check it, and guess what? It is THE CALL! 45 minutes later, I have a D200 box in hand, head off, shoot a few pictures, MAJOR disappointment. Image on the LCD looks like garbage, lines all over the place, what the heck is going on???? I get home, and guess what? You are supposed to take the protective plastic off :redface: :redface:

Now time to figure all the right settings, and get ready for "the test" tomorrow, Bald Eagles on the Skagit River!!!!!

Yeah, SANTA!!!!! I LOVE you, man :biggrin:

ps. Car won't arrive until mid-Jan, somehow I don't really care........:wink:

2. man you got your priorities in order!
    looking forward to the eagle shots

3. ps: your avatar is starting to pixelate away

4. You know what Bill...You were too excited to think of taking the plastic off. Don't worry...I bet you are not the only one lol

5. Congrats for you new toy, Bill.

You know, this is much better than playing with a new rangefinder camera and shot a roll of film with the lens cap on.

6. Merry Christmas Bill and we are all counting on great picturesnow that you don't have an excuses like "I only have 4 MP" anymore!

Looking forward to your review!

Swans beware!

Best wishes to the lady as well from my whole Family!

7. Maybe you can slap on that "Dewey-Flewey" lens Gale mentioned previously and show us some real up-close and personal eagle shots! :wink:

8. The cameras have protective plastic on them? Where? Maybe that's what wrong with my pics... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Congrats on the camera. Lets see some pics!

9. Congrats Bill!
    I bet you woulda noticed the plastic if you'd bothered to look at the menus at all :smile:
    Enjoy, now pics, all of you!

10. Congrats Bill! You really have got your priorities in order! Four months with a D2H and I am already dreaming of the 10mp D200!!! Good for you!!! Hope Santa got my hint!:Depressed

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill with a new ......D200........

WOOOOHOOO Really happy for you,
    and all the lucky D200 owners.
    What a nice x-mas from Santa Nikon.

(Now that Flewy-Dewy lens will work perfect) :>))))

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Congrats, Bill! From what I've read you just got a heckuva camera. Looking forward to seeing dramatic improvement in your images. :rolleyes: Just kidding, but I will be interested in hearing your comparisons. BTW, you are far from the first to be fooled by that plastic sheet.

Gordon

13. Eagles were uncooperative today, sorry. As to my avatar, that is probably because it is a year old, and the pixels in the monitor are wearing out.....:wink:

On a more serious note, yes my priorities are in order, and after 1 day I am liking the D200. Focus issues, not Nikon's fault, caused issues for flight bits today, but I'll get that sorted out. Once I had focus, all was grand, the birds were just not nice today.......

14. No, but I AM the only one stupid enough to announce it to the world :biggrin:

15. Thanks, Phil. Yeah, the best part is I know RIGHT AWAY when I screw up, I don't have to wait a week and then forget what the heck I was doing :wink: Not that I have ever left a lens cap on off course..........

16. I man give the Swans a shot in the AM. I already like the extra resolution, I did a 400% blow-up last night and almost fell off my chair :wink:

Thanks for the wishes, same to you and yours.....

17. I'm sure that will happen in the "not distant future" if 2 things occur. The first is that the darn birds cooperate more than they did today, boy did it suck. And secondly that I can sort out why the dang Sigma won't work with the AF-On button, I suspect that a re-chip by Sigma will be in order. Then again, why oh why would Nikon do something different with the commands? Works great on the D70, D2H and D2X for crying out loud.....:mad:

So far, though, when I do get good focus, awesome is the word.

Thanks,

18. Ummm, ahhhh, ummmm, I did look at the menus, a lot, and all I can say is "senior moment" :redface: :redface:

Thanks, pics will be forthcoming.....

19. THAT "protective plastic" is called the Front Lens Cover, Jim. And, you know, you also have to take the Rear Lens Cover off if you want them to work well too......:wink:

All I can say is, boy did I feel dumb when I figured THAT one out.......

20. Thanks, Crystal. I have had my D2H over a year now, what a fantastic camera it is. I can already see the resolution benefit, and I don't think I'll miss the extra 3fps. A few things to sort out and life will be just grand, I think.....:smile: