Disaster Averted

I placed on order for two lenses through B&H (the 14-24 2.8 S and the 24-70 2.8 S). The box was shipped via Fed Ex.

On the morning of the delivery, I realized that I wouldn't be home...so I requested that Fed Ex leave my package at the local Walgreens for pickup. I figured that there's no way they would leave a package of that value just sitting out. I live in a condo...and less expensive packages are often left on the front porch. Many people walk by the porch.

I was out for a walk when I received a text indicating that Fed Ex delivered my package. Naturally, I assumed the delivery took place at the Walgreens as requested.

As I approached my front door and the porch, I noticed that the package wasn't left there. That was no surprise as I expected it to be at Walgreens.

I entered the garage from the hallway to get into my car to go pickup the lens at Walgreens. I started the car as the garage door went up...and to my surprise the box was placed on the driveway against the garage door. It was positioned maybe 4 feet from my car!

Fortunately, I have been in the habit of backing my car into the garage, so I saw the box. If I had pulled forward into the garage, there's no way I could have seen the box laying on the ground just a few feet behind my car. There's no question that I would have backed right into it and possibly ended up with a couple of shattered S lenses!

I carry "no fault" insurance that covers all of my gear...but I hadn't registered these two lenses yet as the insurance company requests serial numbers during that process.

All ended well...but I can't believe Fed Ex would (a) leave a package of that value on the driveway for all to see, and (b) place it in a position where it is centered behind a car that most likely is backing out of the garage.

Glenn

Real Name
Don Roy
I bought two Klipsch surround speakers a few years ago, which came in about a 24" cube box each with 'Klipsch' printed all over them. The UPS driver, whom I say hi to whenever I see, saw I wasn't home. He opened my yard gate and put them out of site on my back porch and left a note at the front door.

Delivery services leaving packages up against garage doors is a pet peeve of mine. Sure, if you're coming home you will see it but if you are backing up out of the garage you most likely won't. I once happened to come across the name and email address of a person who was the head of some kind of organization of delivery companies and I wrote him about this practice. No surprise, but I never got a response.

I'm reminded of the security camera footage that showed a FedEx driver tossing a big screen TV over a fence into the yard of the recipient. UPS is no better. We've seen them throw our packages out into the driveway. Apparently it's too much of a bother to get out of the truck. Finally, the USPS once delivered a lens to me that was literally hanging out of the box. I wonder if any of these drivers ever disappear without a trace?

They all do the same , its not uncommon here to have packages burried in snow before we get home and pick them up...

Glad you did not run over your delivery Glenn!!!

columbo.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glenn, I'm glad you didn't smash your new lenses. You're going to love mirrorless photography.
I'm sure we all have a horror story about deliveries. My front porch has an overhang that keeps the porch dry when it's raining. Amazon delivered a package containing my new Sony A7c. They put it at the bottom of the steps exposed to the rain. All they had to do was take two steps up and put the package on the porch where it would be out of the rain and dry.

A shipper left a corrugated cardboard boxed electrical device leaning against a tree down the driveway in the rain all night. It got so wet I could tear the cardboard easily. I'm OK with the garage door option. They packed it so badly a corner was damaged. Fortunately the vendor replaced it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom