Disc Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by rick_reno, Jun 18, 2017.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Mari and I drove to Medical Lake, WA yesterday to see an event with "disc dogs" - dogs that catch frisbees. We'd never seen this sport. Mari has an Australian Shepherd puppy coming in a couple of weeks and I'd been doing some reading on this breed and discovered they enjoy this sport. It's insane, these dogs belong in Cirque du Soleil. I brought along a camera and a couple of lenses, not sure of what we'd be seeing. Many dog breeds were in attendance, I'm not even sure of what some of them were, but they were all fast and focused on the disc. The dogs are scored by # of catches, where on the field the catch is made and extra points for leaping up and grabbing on out of the air. Nice crowd too, very friendly and informal. We had a good time, hope to do it again. discdogs11-6-17-17. discdogs17-6-17-17. discdogs27-6-17-17. discdogs23-6-17-17. discdogs20-6-17-17.
    "

• Like Like x 2
  2. These make me smile! What a great day for these dogs....and super action shots!

3. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Excellent action series, Rick!

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great set! Must be a hoot to watch!

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Thanks Dossy, Merlin and Karen. It's a lot of fun to watch.

6. Love it. The guys are having fun...

7. Very well done Rick

8. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Thanks Olshroom and Randy.

9. It's a great sport and lots of fun to watch and do, too! Pepper and I joined a disc dogs group about 4 years ago and have had a lot of fun! Careful with your puppy, though. They're very vulnerable to injury when little, so start him out slowly and keep the disc near ground level. Once he reaches his first year birthday he should be ready for the more vigorous stuff and for competition, if you choose that route. Almost all of the people we've met through the sport are very gracious and generous with help and encouragement. And it's not necessary to compete to enjoy the sport. There are many groups nationwide who have non-competing members who enter the meets just for fun. Here are some links you may find helpful if you choose to get involved with your pup...

Skyhoundz: Home Page -
    HeroDisc's list of clubs: Hero Disc USA | Disc Dog Clubs
    Disc Dogs on Facebook: Disc Dog Discussions
    and many others! Google "Disc Dog Club" + city or state to find local clubs

And have fun!!!
    pep frisbee-2017_0524_DSC_6714_NIKON D300-resize-1029x683.

10. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Bob, your dog is beautiful, looks a lot like the one Mari is getting. Is it an Australian Shepherd? We've never had a dog like this, not sure what to expect. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Hi Rick! Yes, Pepper is an Australian Shepherd. She'll be 5 years old in October and started playing frisbee the day after we brought her home from the breeder! She's our third Aussie and she loves her frisbee and her swimming pool! The other two were both frisbee fanatics, too, and wonderful to watch playing! Pepper does like the soft frisbees much more than the hard, competition style discs, so we don't compete anymore. But we do love the group meets we go to occasionally. Aussies are wonderful family dogs! Very active and smart, so you'll want to give your pup lots of exercise, both mental and physical! You can find some good info about them at dogtime.com, vetstreet.com, akc.org, and of course at Wikipedia, too. Have fun with your puppy! They are adorable!

12. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Bob, is there a brand of soft frisbee you'd recommend. We have a Softflite Hyperflite for her, but it doesn't look like the one Pepper is carrying. I'm pretty Mari got some small discs made from cloth, but I don't know where she put them. We're driving to Bend, OR Friday to pick the puppy up. I'm pretty excited, the breeder said she is a tri-color and has been posting lots of pictures of her. The library had two books on these dogs, Mari ordered another one from Amazon and I've read them all. I'll check out those new links. Thanks a lot.

13. Hi Rick! Those Softflites are good and we use them when we go to meets because they're almost the same as the competition discs. Competition discs are harder than the Softflites. At home we use the disc in Pepper's photo. It's called a "Tuffy Ultimate Flyer Dog Toy" and is made of fabric so it's very easy on the mouth and lasts a lot longer than the plastic Competition or Softflite discs. And they don't throw as far as the Hyperflite discs do, probably one of the reasons they're not allowed in competitions. Last fall I bought 6 of the Tuffys on Amazon, but I couldn't find them there just now except from third-party sellers. You can find them on Chewy.com and they come in several different colors besides yellow. We like the yellow because it's an easier color for dogs to see against the sky! You can also find cheaply-made soft discs at Walmart, Petsmart and Petco, if you have any of those in your neighborhood. But they're pretty flimsy and get torn up easily. For startup with a new puppy you may be better to stick with the Softflite discs. They're relatively easy on the mouth but they will still give your pup a similar experience to the harder competition discs. And you can roll them on the ground to teach your pup to chase them.
    Are you getting your puppy from High Desert Aussies in Bend? They're a great breeder and should be able to give you a lot of info about getting your pup started with frisbee, agility or any other sport! I just looked at their litters... is Matilda your pup?

14. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Bob, thanks for that info. Mari has been ordering a bunch of stuff from that Chewy.com place, I just asked her to add some of those Tuffy discs to her next order. Yes, Matilda is the pup. Going to Bend on Friday, picking her up Sat. Mari has been talking to breeders for over 6 months and decided the folks at High Desert is where she'd get a puppy.
    I've still got to show her your photo of Pepper, she'll love it.

15. Woooo-hooo!!! :) Have a safe trip and a fun weekend with your new Puppy, Rick! :)