Discontinued cars by discontinued Studebaker

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by sfoxjohn, Sep 7, 2005.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    These four are samples of a show of Studebaker cars and pickup trucks held in Townsend Tennessee this past May. I've just gotten around to preparing them and have these four finished with about 6 more to go.

Note the Al Smith campaign plate on the first (1928) one. Also the efficient parking brake in front of the right front wheel. The cylindrical gas tank is under the hood; the current owner has a ruler clipped to the tank to act as his gas guage.

[​IMG]

A 1951 Black Champion

[​IMG]

A 1941 Light Truck

[​IMG]

A 1960 Hawk

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those are some nice snaps, John. The Studebaker...how many members even remember the name. I've seen plenty of Hawks in my day, most were driven by adults, but some were turned into muscle cars. You don't see many wooden spokes as shown in the first image. Thanks for sharing.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, I finally see the truck my oldest sister rolled as a teenager back in the 50's..
    BTW, those are some very nice photos.. Thanks for sharing.

4. I remember #2 and #4 but i did not know that they were making trucks.

If you look at the front end of #4 you see that's a very modern design. I think that they were ahead of most of the american company as far as design is concerned, specially in the last years.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well not that exact truck, but one like it.. (She totaled it)

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like that hawk (# 4 )

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks to all for the kind words and comments.

Dave, sorry to hear about the totalling.

Gilles, yes they were often ahead of the others. My strongest recollection is the first model car made in America that did away with the separate front fenders. People used to joke that you couldn't tell whether it was coming or going.

The next set has a model with a color combination that only the owner could love.

9. Good job in capuring these John.