Discovery 119 Launch, stuffed pics.

We were very lucky to get to see the launch of Discovery, 119. The many launch delays worked out well for us. We set up first on a highway, some 12 miles away. Then more luck came our way, friends that work at and around the cape called and we then moved the the NASA causeway, 6 miles form the launch.

There is no describing a shuttle launch, the bright light, the silent rise into the sky, and then the wall of sound that just hits you. all very amazing.

We were with friends and a NASA engineer. Close to the launch time I was asked if folks could view the shuttle through the lens. If I had charged a dollar for each, I could have made some money. LOL Somewhere during al this my settings got shifted.

I had heard that a night/twilight launch is difficult to shoot, first time anyway. I did not expect NG quality pics, but I had hoped for a lot better than this.

All CC is welcome, I would like to learn from this major goof.

D300 200/400 and 1.4 TC
12 miles and haze
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Assembly Building 200 ISO 45 Minutes before launch.
original.jpg

6 mile
original.jpg

Somewhere, before this shot, the ISO was mysteriously moved to 800. I have no idea
what I did, or if one of the many people I let view the shuttle through my camera some how bumped
the ISO. That does not seem likely though.

Lift Off
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Serious crop,
original.jpg

original.jpg

In this shot the shuttle is about 20 miles high and and some 15 miles down range
Boosters fall away.
original.jpg

D200, 18/200
The vapor trail in the fading sunlight was the only good shot.
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure, atmosphere maybe, there is a lot of noise, and I do not have noise ninja, need a program. I only posted these after starting a blown settings thread in general discussions. This was the first time I had used this lens on this body. I did find a few months later that a slight auto fine tuning was needed.

I have posted 6 miles shots of Atlanta GA. with similar slight lack of sharpness, and that was with a proven D200 body, in that case it was wind or maybe atmosphere, 6 miles is a long way.
All but the last are crops, and it was taken with the D200 and 18/200

Real Name
Chris
First off, I love the vapor trail shot. And these are ALOT better than my first attempt at the shuttle. We were at Jetty peir??? i think. Had 3 cameras, a Sony Alpha, Canon digital rebel, and canon film rebel. All we got were the flames coming off the engines, not even a hint of the shuttle itself.

Thanks Bill and Chris, i would like to see some comparison shots from the NASA causeway. I know I could do better if I had it to do over, just not sure about shooting across all that water. IT definitely messed with the 12 mile shot. A clear cold night with no humidity would have been great:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom