Share Discuss Tabletop Photography Techniques

Next you'll be telling us it's all fake food! :ROFLMAO: :eek::D

Coincidentally, the following link takes you to an article about using fake food. The article also has three links to other articles about the same subject. It contains a fourth link to an article that provides even more food tips and information about the fake condensation and fake ice discussed in post #198.
https://petapixel.com/2018/11/30/tricks-food-photographers-use-to-make-food-look-delicious/

The article accessed using the above link provides the tips shown below. I've used cardboard spacers and toothpicks for the reasons mentioned in that list but I've never had a reason to use any of the other items.
  • Cardboard spacers add height to food
  • Motor oil is a syrup substitute that doesn’t absorb into pancakes
  • Toothpicks hold ingredients in place
  • Makeup sponge can add height to a burger
  • Vegetable oil adds a juicy look to meat
  • Glue is a milk substitute that doesn’t make cereal soggy
  • Dish soap creates longer lasting foam in fizzy drinks
  • Corn syrup and food coloring can create ice cream that doesn’t melt
  • Super glue repairs tears in bird skin
  • Browning liquid can be made to shoot raw birds without roasting
  • Shaving cream is used as whipped cream that doesn’t melt
  • Ramekins can be used to keep garnishes on the surfaces of soup
  • Tampons are soaked and microwaved to create steam

Last edited:
The following idea from Lyndee is the exact sort of thing that tabletop photographers enjoy doing when improvising:

"And the tabletop is remnant piece from an old computer desk I had that ended up being way too small (I have four computer monitors...). So, I upgraded the desk, and took the old desk apart, but rather than disposing of the pieces, I kept them figuring that I could repurpose them. And whaddaya know - one of the pieces came in handy this morning!"

Her excellent photo made using that tabletop is Post #88 at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/cs-731-negative-space.325898/page-5#

I agree -- I'm always on the lookout for something which can be used either as a tabletop surface or as a prop or the main subject in a tabletop, abstract or macro image. It's fun when you find something somewhere either at home or away from home, or sometimes are about to discard an item and then think, "hey, this would be a great surface [or prop or subject]!" Some of the most interesting shots can come about because of an interesting surface, prop or subject which came to hand unexpectedly......

@LyndeeLoo posted the following information in her 52-Week Project thread about her clever, inexpensive, DIY tabletop setup:

"This weekend, I ended up making a rudimentary table top 'studio', that cost all of $11 and some change. I purchased a large cardboard box from Walmart ($1.37), a large black poster board, clips, a plastic painter's drop cloth (all from Dollar Tree) and a desk lamp (Walmart, $6.88). After assembling the box, I cut holes in the sides and covered the holes with the plastic drop cloth to diffuse the light from the desk lamp. I then cut a slit in the top of the box, slid the poster board thru it and secured it to the box with the clips. So far, the 'studio' seems to be working well!"

She has already made two wonderful, tabletop photos using that setup and both are displayed at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/lyndee-loos-52-week-project-2021-week-3.325734/

Sounds similar to the rather expensive "portable photo studio" AKA a "light tent" made by Photek that I bought quite a few years ago..... This kind of setup works well for small objects, especially for controlling and diffusing the light, but at times I found it to be cumbersome so rarely use mine now. It lives in a closet..... That said, kudos to Lyndee for her thriftiness and ingenuity! :)

Last edited:
Background Stands
Most people probably think of background stands for use with portrait photography and when making photos of objects typically too large to fit on a tabletop. However, background stands can also be very handy for holding bolts of fabric, rolls of paper and other materials when doing tabletop photography. Prior to when I recently enlarged the working space of my makeshift studio, the area was too small to accommodate a background stand. Now that I have enough room, using it makes life a lot easier.

One of the problems I'm constantly dealing with when doing tabletop photography is background materials that aren't long enough or wide enough. When I want a black background, that problem is solved by using a bolt of black velvet wrapped around a core tube and inserting the background stand's crossbar into the tube. NOTE: You'll also need at least one clamp (not included with some background stands) that is large enough to go around your roll of background material if you want to limit how far it will unroll while it's on the stand.

I bought the following relatively inexpensive background stand that costs only $70:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/331728-REG/Interfit_COR755_Background_Support_System.html

It's made of two light stands, two brass pins inserted in the top of each stand, and a crossbar held in place by the two pins inserted into holes at both ends of the crossbar. If you've been thinking of getting a couple light stands, consider getting this product so you also get the crossbar. The crossbar is in three sections, which allows you to use two of the sections for a width that is a little larger than 5 feet or you can use all three sections for a width that is a little larger than 8 feet. When using it for tabletop photography, you'll probably only need to use the smaller width. Though one of the photos displayed using the above link indicates that the stands and crossbar are made of bright metal, they're actually made of black metal with a semi-glossy finish that leans more to a matte finish than a glossy finish. Everything comes in a very handy, soft carrying case.

Considering the price of only $70, we shouldn't be surprised that this is not a heavy-duty product. However, at that price the build quality is better than I expected. Indeed, a pair of similar light stands (not including the pins, crossbar or carrying case) made by Impact costs $66. Even so, a pair of the Impact light stands I use costs only $40, so buy whatever meets your needs.

Last edited:
it takes a lot less floor space than conventional light stands

That really can be a valuable feature when working in small spaces. When the legs are opened to form the smallest, practical base, what is the distance between any two of the feet? I'd like to compare that to my light stands. EDIT: That distance is 20 inches on my smallest light stands. I see that you might not have bought the product and can't measure that distance.

Last edited:
Since I really do not have space in my small condo unit for any sort of background stand I usually improvise as needed, sometimes draping fabric over something that can be propped up and secured to serve the purpose, but much of the time I just use foam core boards or Replica Surface boards as the backdrop with another as the surface upon which the subject is positioned. However, the Replica Surfaces boards are not as large and as wide as some sizes of poster board or foam core board, so black velvet fabric absolutely comes in handy from time to time.

I posted this image in the Macro, Insects, and Greenery forum a few minutes ago:

Stack1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That is a four-image focus stack.

This is the setup I used:

_Z504563.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom