Discussion of Butlerkid's Top 5 images

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Scuba diving is the most thrilling thing I have ever done. The underwater environment is stunningly beautiful! This image of a Clownfish and translucent shrimp in anemone was taken in Papua New Guinea in the late 1990's . We spent 5 days doing 5 dives a day off a live aboard boat. I used a range finder camera = no autofocus, no auto exposure (and no histogram! gasp!). I had to focus based on my distance from my subjects.
clownfishA-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lesser Violetear juvinile, Costa Rica, 2018. Overcast conditions with light drizzle at time. Natural light only.
_8502584_DxO-X3.jpg

Angel Oak, Johns Island, South Carolina. This infrared image was created in 2014. I love to visit this tree as it is so magnificant! But the mosquitos can be vicious here! In spite of the constant swarms of mosquitos, I held my ground and got this image. The next morning, my eyes were swollen shut from the many mosquito bites around my eyes - and everywhere else !!!!!

The tree is estimated to be 400–500 years old. It stands 66.5 ft (20 m) tall, measures 28 ft (8.5 m) in circumference, and produces shade that covers 17,200 square feet (1,600 m2). Its longest branch distance is 187 ft[2] in length.
A parking lot now occupies the far side of Angel Oak. Thus, it would be very hard create this image now.
KSP_0472-X3.jpg

Horseshoe Bend, Arizona, 2012. I am terrified of heights. The walls surrounding Horseshoe Bend drop pretty much straight down 1,000 feet to the Colorado River below! I desperately wanted to photograph this sight...but standing near the edge was not for me. So I got on my belly, then slowly slithered toward the edge until my wrists were extended over the edge while holding the 14-24 lens and D800 camera. It was impossible to look through the viewfinder, so I would carefully trip the shutter, then inch my elbows back on the rough rock until I could check the photo. After a couple of tries, I got the shot I wanted. Then I slithered back away from the edge!

This year the Park service has installed railing along the top of the walls. It would be almost impossible to get this shot now.
_DSC2038%20as%20Smart%20Object-1_alt-X3.jpg

Very rural village of Bassi, India, 2008. We were walking along one of the dirt roads in the village, when we passed this young child sitting in the window doing her school work. I barely managed to capture the scene before she shyly ran away.
_DSC2815%20as%20Smart%20Object-1-X3.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Lol, that Oak, passed the Zebras! But your story on every image is what makes these extra special. Returning to the moment, so,special.

Very nice set...

I enjoyed photographing two of those locations: Angel Oak and Horseshoe Bend. In fact, your story and mine match for Horseshoe Bend...from the crawling approach to the edge to the same camera and lens!

Underwater photography must be a real challenge!

The last image is special...one that would be nearly impossible for another photographer to replicate.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom