Discussion of my top 5 images

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Hello Nick, in all the mod work getting this set up and threads moved I missed your contribution. Still remember your BW conversion of number 5. Love that big sky, love how you have a set style too.

I have been primarily a landscape shooter. I seem to favor dark, moody images, and my top 20 reflected that "bias". I did have a couple of pictures from an engagement shoot that I did for some students, and some wildlife work. There was even some Z6 work in that elite selection. But in the end I had to honor the images that moved me the most and that affected my enjoyment the most.

1. June 2002.
Homer Spit, Kenai, Alaska. My son, the summer after he graduated from high school, contemplating the big world and opportunities all around him Nikon FM and Agfa slide film of some variety.
View attachment 1668748

2.July 2008.
Last Rays.
Palouse prairie north of Moscow, ID. A favorite time of day.
View attachment 1668752

3. September 2008.
When dust, harvest and smoke collide.
I was out shooting with my son. It was very smoky (forest fires all over the West) there was dust from the wheat harvest on the Palouse and we saw grain truck drive down this road towards the setting sun, stirring up clouds. We stopped, pulled out our gear and fired of a few on this beautiful, if hellish, scene.
View attachment 1668750

4. October 2017.
Tyne Cot Cemetery near Ypres, Belgium, is the largest Commonwealth cemetery in the world, almost 12,000 buried here, with the names of another 35,000 men whose remains were never found. We were there at sunset, which made the place even more poignant!

View attachment 1668749

5. September 2018
The Last Straw.
End of the harvest on the Palouse, farmers round up the wheat stalks into gigantic bales the size of a VW. My first success at B&W conversion.

View attachment 1668751
Very nice set Nick, would very much like to get out and photograph the landscape in the Palouse. Been enamored ever since I 1st saw an image taken from the Steptoe Butte. Sweet conversion on the 5th.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom