Disney Electric Light Parade

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by bhandley, Apr 22, 2007.

1. bhandley

bhandley Guest

Shooting in virtually no or little moving light is a lot tougher then I would thought it would be....

f1.

View attachment 92018

View attachment 92019

View attachment 92020

View attachment 92021

All of these were taken w/D40 w/15-55mm kit. F5.6. Shutter speeds varied and all were hand held and pretty hard to take to my surprise. Especially the light parade ones.

Now my question is (pardon the noobness as I am a totally rookie still), how much difference would a lens that provided an F-range of like F1.8-3 in terms of light? I mean it for what I have to work with its hard imagining how much easier it would be with more light coming into the lens. However having never used anything better, if I added one of the fore-mentioned lens w/that F-range would see a huge difference? And if someone has some insight, mind posting some examples?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I see nothing wrong with your images.
    Tripod would have helped to sharpen a bit.
    Looks good though

3. Difference between f5.6 and f2 is 3x the shutter speed (So 1/30 becomes 1/90th) So pretty big difference!
    an f2.8 lens would be 2x the shutter speed.
    If you want a f1.8 or greater with your D40, you will get Autofocus on Sigma's 30mm f1.4 HSM, which from what i've seen is an amazing lens.

4. The difference between f/5.6 and f/2 is indeed 3 stops, but that means 8 times the shutter speed (2 to the 3rd power). For every stop of increase in the aperture (the larger the aperture gets, i.e. the smaller the f/number becomes), the shutter speed gets doubled. It also means that an f/2.8 lens would produce 4 times the shutter speed (2 to the 2nd power)...

To the OP, great pics, particularly the first 2. What fun!

5. minouuupak

minouuupak Guest

looks good for what the conditions were. I like pic #1

6. bhandley

bhandley Guest

Awesome, thats some pretty big motivation for upgrading lenses. I didn't know that great little bit of info about the Fstop/shutter speed. I love these forums!