Disney in Hong Kong.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Well they have got off to a great start by advertising SHARK FIN SOUP on the menu. Killing 40 stray dogs that were hanging around the site and it has been discovered that the company making the Disney custumes and other items are paying their workers 23pence per hour (72 cents), for a 10 to 12 hour day for 6 days a week. OOPS.

On top of this, entrance tickets cost £21, (($37), where the average income per month is £60, ($107).

I watch the next instalment with interest.

Bob F.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob,
    I see no replys to your post.

Wages. hahahaha.. Don't ever think that in Florida it is any different.

The economics of eace place Disney has built....

The world of greed today.

3. Hi, Bob. I'm not defending Disney, but just want to clarify some points.

The 'shark fin soup' is an old news. Shark fin soup, unfortunately, is a standard item in chinese banquets, so it's not surprising that it appears on Disney hotels' banquent menu. It was removed more than 2 months ago, before the hotels open, after our protest.

Disney did not kill those dogs. The stray dogs were caought by the authority and put in custody and sadly had to put to sleep when nobody adopted them.

Most goods, not just Disney items, are manufactured in 3rd world countries where labors are very very cheap. Most of the factory workers in Southern China are from rural places hundreds of miles away. Income is very low by our standard, but it's much better than what they can get in their home villages.

Economy in the past few years is not as good as before, but luckily Hong Kong is still not that poor. I don't have actual figures here, but definitely the average monthly income is much much higher than $107 (I think the $107 is the figure for China).

As Gale said, it's not just Hong Kong, and it's not just Disney. It's sad that the world is operating this way.

It's also interesting to see how news get distorted by travelling thousands of miles.

4. The average wage is that for the Chinese but as Disney has budgeted 30.000 per week to come through the doors and the majority of them to be Chinese the figure is applicable.
    Yes I knew that the Shark Fin Soup had been taken off the menu, but it should not have been there in the first place.
    Did not know the history of the dogs, so I am pleased to hear that they were put down after efforts to rehouse them had been made.
    I am not anti-Disney but I do think that some of the world's multi-nationals need to think an awful lot more before they venture into countries outside their normal sphere of understanding.
    The Euro-Disney is a financial disaster because thay forgot about the weather in Europe which is very very variable, and people are not going to visit this type of entertainment in the rain and snow.
    Best wishes. Bob F.

5. Totally agree with you, Bob. Hong Kong government has invested heavily in Disney and for obvious reason, we hope it will be successful.

Just one more point, Bob. There are a lot of 'rich' people in China though many more are living in quite poor condition, so ticket price is not a problem.