Ditto overview and update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hillrg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. I promised to provide a peek into what Ditto will look like. As a reminder, if you have not been following this, Ditto is a javascript program I am writing.

Here are a few things the program (Ditto) can do:

o Save instructions in templates. You can have as many templates as you want.

o Execute any number of selected templates on the selected thumbs in Bridge.

o Within a template you can tell photoshop to:

- resize, convert color space, save to many formats
    - add 2 mats and a frame (in separate layers)
    - add doodads: a title, signature, exif data logo and graphic rectangle (in separate layers)
    - doodads can be sized, oriented and located anywhere
    - EXIF data can be selected, ordered and line breaks added to format to taste

- for each layer added you can apply:
    - a style
    - an action
    - layer opacity
    - layer fill opacity
    - layer blending mode

o Ditto is non-distructive - it never alters the original files

o Converted files can be saved in a (relative) subfolder to the active bridge folder or to any other (absolute) folder you choose.

Sample output from Ditto:

Ditto is accessed via the Bridge context menu:

View attachment 19890

This opens the main Ditto dialog, which lists the available templates and can run the template editor. As you can see in this example, two templates, both resizing the original to 800 pixels, but in different formats, are checked. You can run as many templates as you wish against all selected bridge thumbnails.

View attachment 19891

When you click on the Editor button you are taken to this dialog, from which you can edit an existing template, create a new blank template, make a copy of an existing template or delete a template.

View attachment 19892

In this case I have selected a template to edit. Click Edit and open the template editor dialog. This dialog simulates a multi-tab dialog using radio buttons (cause no tab control in CS2 javascript). This screen shows the first tab, General. This is where you name the template, set file conversion parameters and save file options.

View attachment 19893

The next tab is Images and Borders. This is where you control the size, look and layer attributes for each border. They are all the same. Between layer styles, actions, and layer controls, there is not much you cannot do.

View attachment 19894

The next major tab, Doodads, includes all the text, logos, exif data and lines you may wish to place within the document. The next screen shows the stuff you can control for text, which includes the title, signature and exif date. Of course, you can have different settings for each one.

View attachment 19895

You can also add a Logo, or any graphic that you can create in photoshop.

View attachment 19896

The last Doodad allows you to add a rectangle, which could be a line bevel on a mat or any vertical or horizontal line.

View attachment 19897

Finally, (there had to be an end, right?) there is a tab dedicated to customizing how you want to display any exif data. As you can see, I still have some cosmetic work to do here...

View attachment 19898

As you can see, this has been a rather large undertaking for a feeble minded forester. There are currently over 8,500 lines of code. Any feedback on the functionality, look and feel are appreciated. I am planning to distribute a beta to a few of the cafe regulars in January.

Cheers
    Rory

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
  3. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I might be tempted to buy PSCS with these kind of things available!

Sadly I'm a Nikon Capture/PS Elements man at the moment.....but that temptation thing...oh boy.

4. Well, if we can't get you on the lens lust side we'll get you on the software:wink:

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rory :

I doubt if I'll be using this, but the beer's a great idea anyway.

Drop by tonight for a Rasputin Stout, or a Sierra Nevada IPA or Porter. Failing that, we can step out to one of several microbreweries in town.

I'll leave the porch light on.

John P.

6. Rory, I think this puts me up to owing you a bit over a 6-pack, and if I ever get my butt in gear and head up your way, dinner and beer is on me. If you need any Alpha or Beta guinea pigs, feel free to give me a shout.

"Feeble minded forrester" my patootie :wink: :wink:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks very impressive Rory. Maybe we need a Cafe software forum (maybe a sub-forum??). :rolleyes:

8. Could be. In the meantime, the General forum is okay?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely. :smile:

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Rory,

This is awesome. This is exactly what a guy like me needs. A gui for PSCS that I can understand. So are, I get what you have shown here. I think it will be a hit.

Regards,

11. I think it will still be for power users. Photoshop styles and style sets are not for the faint at heart:biggrin:

12. Rory
    Looks great how about a nice drink after a day of shooting eagles in Vancouver!!!

13. When you coming:Shocked:

14. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Looks good Rory
    I'd love to try it out when the beta is ready I can also give you some feedback on the codebase if you want it. It was once said that I code better than most people breathe.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rory :

The beer's cold, the mountains are just darkening here.

Where are you ? :rolleyes:

John P.

16. That would be great Randall. I am proficient, but not a pro.

17. looks impressive, quite an undertaking. beer? no problem!
    Dave

18. I forget, just where are those mountains John?

19. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Oh, and if you're ever in Redondo Bch, CA there's a cold one waiting for you:biggrin: