Dive Bombing Finch

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Brew, May 9, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

I was watching these guys while the family was at Mothers yesterday. They were in a neighbors yard and I was unable to get close so this is cropped (to what extent I don't know I just did it)

Anyway I always like these Gold Finch but they scare easy, but the funny is now that I look more closely at them they look like little bandits. They were fighting in groups by the feeder and I think this one was on a suicide mission.

Not the best picture as I really need a 400mm instead of my 200 but I just got a kick out of the look on his face and the two with their heads turned watching him come in.

large.

2. Wow that's a cool picture. Looks like you got the bird on the right when his wings were tucked in during the flap. Looks like he's floating there. Nice capture!

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks,

Yeah these little guys like to flap and glide. I had it on continuous shutter and the very next shot he is going straight up with his wings tucked in as well.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very cool Bruce. These are the kinds of interesting behavior that I'm seeing for the first time since I took up this hobby. Guess I just never looked before.

And you are too modest. This is a good shot. 8)

5. OH MAN!! That is a cool shot.....the bird in mid air with it's wings in.....very cool!!! :D :D :D :D :D

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Good capture! Looks like he is going into free fall (or was he shot from a cannon?) and leaves me wondering where he ends up!!
    My very best,
    Jerry S

7. Kamakaze Gold Finch!! *LOL* This is such a great capture.... always fun to watch the competition when they feed

8. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks everyone.

Here is what happened to him on the next shutter release... :p

large.