Dive! Dive!

The USS Georgia (SSBN 729) in Dabob Bay in Washington State begins to dive. Air rushs from the ballast tanks, allowing water to enter giving the sub negative buoyancy allowing it to dive.

trident1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

trident2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rather fond of the subs:>)))
Super shots
Hope you have one of the USS Alabama stuffed away somewhere:>))

Rather fond of the subs:>)))
Super shots
Hope you have one of the USS Alabama stuffed away somewhere:>))
I don't think I photographed the Alabama. I have shots of Georgia, Alaska, Michigan, Ohio, Nevada. Looking quickly through a few sheets though, I found my Dad photographed the Alabama a bit when it was in port at Bangor, WA. Most of the ones I found quickly are of divers practicing working off the ship, shot in 1987.

Hmm, it's black, more than one blowhole, what kind of baleen whale is that??? It's not chubby enough to be a humpback.......dorsal fin is too far forward, too!!!

We just hired a guy who was assigned to a sub, I'll have to ask if the Georgia was his ride. Sweet shot, Steve.

We just hired a guy who was assigned to a sub, I'll have to ask if the Georgia was his ride. Sweet shot, Steve.
Frank, I did two coffee table books on subs, "Silent Chase, Submarines of the US Navy", and "Sharks of Steel". In the course of shooting those books, I photographed some 50 different ships, so if your guy was on a sub in the late 80's or early 90's, chances are I have a photo of his ship.

hummmm Erin was born in 84. That would work if you don't mind posting the Alabama. They were stationed in Bangor then

L

LisaR

Wow Steve ... nice shot. My BIL was on the Georgia .... and chances are very high that he is actually in it during the above picture (if memory serves me correctly, he was one of the first on the Georgia)!! He was later assigned to the Kentucky (I think in 95 or 96) based in the NE. I'll have to show my hubby this picture!

hummmm Erin was born in 84. That would work if you don't mind posting the Alabama. They were stationed in Bangor then
Gale, I don't have time now. We are leaving early tomorrow morning to fly down to Seattle, and then continue in a few days to Phoenix. We're taking a float trip through the Grand Canyon; an oil painting workshop trip for Marybee.

Wow Steve ... nice shot. My BIL was on the Georgia .... and chances are very high that he is actually in it during the above picture (if memory serves me correctly, he was one of the first on the Georgia)!! He was later assigned to the Kentucky (I think in 95 or 96) based in the NE. I'll have to show my hubby this picture!
Lisa, the shots in Dabob Bay would have been a sound test run where they try to determine if there are any aberrant noises coming from the ship prior to going on patrol. There was a Discovery Channel film crew aboard during some of the time I was working with the ship.

That is just an amazing shot! The fact that you have the opportunity to photograph the subs is awesome. Would love to see more of them.

Real Name
Karl
Great shots...

Spent a good part of my engineering career developing components of the navigation system on the Trident II submarines. Those boats are a big part of the reason that we won the cold war...

Karl

My partner at work did 16 years in the silent Service. He's got some stories I tell ya'.
But,... much like a few Firehouse stories.... ! there not suitable for this venue LOL ... :~)

Great shots...

Spent a good part of my engineering career developing components of the navigation system on the Trident II submarines. Those boats are a big part of the reason that we won the cold war...

Karl

My partner at work did 16 years in the silent Service. He's got some stories I tell ya'.
But,... much like a few Firehouse stories.... ! there not suitable for this venue LOL ... :~)

My Dad was in subs, and the navy for 37 years. He was the second nuclear trained officer. Early in his career, he was in charge of a panel of officers who worked on the design of the Polaris subs, then headed the panel setting the design specifications of the Los Angeles (688) class. He was in charge of Trident from it's inception and secured funding by testifying in Congress on behalf of the Navy; Trident was at the time our largest defense project. He chose the home port of Bangor, WA for Trident, and then had King's Bay, GA forced upon him for political reasons. He retired in 1980 as the senior three star Admiral in the Navy. He died of complications related to Parkinson's last September, and was buried with full military honors in Arlington.

Latest threads

Top Bottom