Diving right in, Strobist-style

I just ordered my lighting kits from mpex.com! I'm giving the cheap eBay remotes (Cactus V2s) a shot with the Starving Student Wireless kits. I picked up one with the Vivitar 285HV and one without (for my SB-600). If it doesn't work out, I'll consider picking up a set of Elinchome Skyports.

Looking forward to the new possibilities!

Dan

I just shot my first wedding tonight and used the V2's for the family formals... nary a problem with the V2's... it was my SB-28's giving me problems. I think they work just fine... have fun learning your lighting. :smile:

As soon as you have tried those Vivtars I'd love to have your feedback on them Dan. I'm using my flash totally manual anyway so I don't see the point in getting SB-600/800s if 285s perform well ... and are cheap :biggrin:

They should be here in the next few days or so. I can't wait!

If I could go back in time, I think I would buy a SB-800 instead of my SB-600. In any case, the SB-600/SB-800 are well worth the money! I use the SB-600 with the Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for candids, and it's nice being able to just use i-TTL for those quick shots.

It's also nice being able to take the flash off of the camera and using CLS in a pinch!

Dan

Finally got my lighting kits today!

The 285HV is nice, but I somewhat wish I picked up a used SB-24/25/26 instead. The flash is powerful, but it can only be set to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/16 power. I can still use neutral density gels to stop it down some more though.

The Cactus V2s fire both my SB-600 and the 285HV just fine using the hot shoe. It's been 100% reliable when I'm within 15-20 ft. I haven't tried it any farther yet though. Looks like I lucked out and got a working set!

Dan

J

jcovert

As soon as you have tried those Vivtars I'd love to have your feedback on them Dan. I'm using my flash totally manual anyway so I don't see the point in getting SB-600/800s if 285s perform well ... and are cheap :biggrin:

I'm thinking that as well.

C

corea

Finally got my lighting kits today!

The 285HV is nice, but I somewhat wish I picked up a used SB-24/25/26 instead. The flash is powerful, but it can only be set to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/16 power. I can still use neutral density gels to stop it down some more though.

The Cactus V2s fire both my SB-600 and the 285HV just fine using the hot shoe. It's been 100% reliable when I'm within 15-20 ft. I haven't tried it any farther yet though. Looks like I lucked out and got a working set!

Dan

I just bought a SB-24 from ebay, but I then I read that it goes only to 1/16 as well (still waiting for it to arrive)... I'll probably use it as my main light, and the other SB-28 fot the details and fill, as it goes to 1/64 power and can be fine tuned better... you could probably do the same with 285HV and SB600...

I just bought a SB-24 from ebay, but I then I read that it goes only to 1/16 as well (still waiting for it to arrive)... I'll probably use it as my main light, and the other SB-28 fot the details and fill, as it goes to 1/64 power and can be fine tuned better... you could probably do the same with 285HV and SB600...

You're right. It only goes to 1/16. I think the SB-25/26/28 are the ones that can be powered down more.

Dan

Latest threads

Top Bottom