DIY Hovercraft

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by cmpalmer, May 18, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I figure that this page I created on how my son and I built a hovercraft out of junk in my garage might be appropriate for this category. What I really learned in creating the hovercraft and this page is that taking photos to document a project construction process is very hard and is something that I am not too good at :(

It was a good experiment and it allowed me to go back and review the snapshots that I took to be able to learn from my mistakes in the future. Hopefully, as I improve the hovercraft and work on some more garage hack projects in the future, I can improve the step-by-step photos -- composition, lighting, clarity, cleaning my garage first, etc.

Here is the web page:
    http://cmpalmer.blogspot.com/2005/05/garage-hack-hovercraft.html

Here is my smugmug site with all of the photos I took:
    http://cmpalmer.smugmug.com/gallery/539268

And here is a shot of the completed hovercraft (or at least completed enough to test and ride -- we're still working on refining the design and construction):
    [​IMG]

Other than better lighting, a clean garage, and a few better angles, does anyone have suggestions on how to shoot photos of this sort (step-by-step construction diaries/instructions)?

2. sinapps

sinapps

Apr 30, 2005
    Houston
    Very cool project.

3. I had fun following your project from beginning to end. Pretty neat project and a real teaching tool for you son. Now as to practical applications, hmmmm, haven't really thought of any yet. Thanks for sharing this project with the Cafe.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    You are a cool dad!

5. NO WAY!!! I bet he had a ball!!! :D :D :D

6. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Man, I wish my dad had done things like that with me. You can bet I'll be stealing that idea to do with Chase.

Great stuff, Chris!