1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DIY Mini Studio (Macro & Close-up Items)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Just thought I'd show you a little studio I made by doing a couple of minor mods to a storage carton I bought from my local supermarket (Sainsbury).

It's made from a white translucent corrugated plastic. It was a little too large for what I wanted so I cut it down to around 9"x9"x13". I then used a couple of mini halogen desklamps to illuminate the box from the outside, a piece of printer paper as a backdrop and fired a couple of test shots.

The lights are not ideal as there is still some shadowing so I may look for an alternative. Still, the box cost me £4.99 and, for such a small investment, it's not bad eh?

Here's a couple of the test shots then a shot of the studio:

Bracelet.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/22.0    1/4s    ISO 200

Pot.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/11.0    1/13s    ISO 200

MiniStudio.
    NIKON D300    ---    22mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 200

Oh, and here's one lit only with an off-camera SB-600 fitted with the DIY Beauty Dish I showed in an earlier post:

Breitling-1.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/11.0    1/60s    ISO 200

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  2. I honestly don't mind some shadows, because for many subjects, they give a necessary feel of depth. That's a .nice, cheap little set-up.

3. Bellanova

Bellanova

Sep 9, 2008
    Houston
    That is a great simple and super CHEAP setup! And best of all it works!

Great images!

4. nice,. good for thinking 'inside the box' :smile:

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the comments guys. My daughter bought me a pair of daylight spotlamps for my birthday. I hope to put them to the test this weekend

6. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Great set up!! I have a client that paints wooden letters for nurseries and her pictures are awful! They do not do her beautiful work justice at all! I need to build something like this for her!

7. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

I'm broke!

For the budget photographer that is a great setup! And what motorcycle is that? And is that a Scorpion pipe on it?

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks - and it's an XJR1300 with Scorpion cans...

:biggrin:

9. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Ride on

Very kool my friend. Very kool. :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.