DIY Mini Studio (Macro & Close-up Items)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Just thought I'd show you a little studio I made by doing a couple of minor mods to a storage carton I bought from my local supermarket (Sainsbury).

It's made from a white translucent corrugated plastic. It was a little too large for what I wanted so I cut it down to around 9"x9"x13". I then used a couple of mini halogen desklamps to illuminate the box from the outside, a piece of printer paper as a backdrop and fired a couple of test shots.

The lights are not ideal as there is still some shadowing so I may look for an alternative. Still, the box cost me £4.99 and, for such a small investment, it's not bad eh?

Here's a couple of the test shots then a shot of the studio:

Bracelet.jpg

Pot.jpg

MiniStudio.jpg

Oh, and here's one lit only with an off-camera SB-600 fitted with the DIY Beauty Dish I showed in an earlier post:

Breitling-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  2. I honestly don't mind some shadows, because for many subjects, they give a necessary feel of depth. That's a .nice, cheap little set-up.

3. Bellanova

Bellanova

Sep 9, 2008
    Houston
    That is a great simple and super CHEAP setup! And best of all it works!

Great images!

4. nice,. good for thinking 'inside the box' :smile:

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the comments guys. My daughter bought me a pair of daylight spotlamps for my birthday. I hope to put them to the test this weekend

6. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Great set up!! I have a client that paints wooden letters for nurseries and her pictures are awful! They do not do her beautiful work justice at all! I need to build something like this for her!

7. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

I'm broke!

For the budget photographer that is a great setup! And what motorcycle is that? And is that a Scorpion pipe on it?

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks - and it's an XJR1300 with Scorpion cans...

:biggrin:

9. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Ride on

Very kool my friend. Very kool. :cool: