DIY Nikkor 14-24 filter solution

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by puddleduck, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Ok... I give up. How do you accidently buy one??? :rolleyes::wink:

2. That would be fantastic if I could use a CPL with that lens. I would've liked to have seen some shots at the widest end of the lens using these adapters.

3. Apparently the Lee workaround vignettes a bit at 14mm, but is fine from 17mm onwards.

As to my accidental purchase, it was a random lunchtime browse that ended up with me somehow buying one...!

4. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    I didn't even know they had 105mm filters

5. When I had a Sigma 120-300 you could get huge (and expensive!) filters the size of dinner plates, these were 105mm (maybe 110?) if I recall.

6. The dumb part about that DP thread is it is on a D300. Just get a 12-24... HELLO?!?!

7. I think the second solution will only work for DX cameras - I would expect the vignetting to be too much with a D3. The first solution has more of a chance of working with full frame as it doesn't protrude so much. But I would have to learn Chinese before I can fully work out what they have done ;)

8. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Must vignette like crazy. What did they attach to the hood? I am a little confused by how this was done.

9. Agreed. Having said that I have heard strong rumours that Lee are about to unveil a solution, the so-called "doughnut" (donut for US folks) solution.

I'm not clear whether this is going to be DX only...

10. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Has there been any other filter protective systems apart from the one above so far?

11. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Bagsy first in queue when you sell it! :biggrin:

12. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    The guy at Lee is really friendly and also really knows his stuff. I talked to him a while ago about this and he mentioned that they did have a custom part, but even so, the lens will vignette at 17mm.

Another thing that I don't like about this solution is that it is difficult to use ND filters that are more then 3 stops with the Lee system. I like having the ability to use a 10 stop filter at times, to get that silky smooth water affect.

13. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

Anyone think about making a filter adaptor to the rear of the lens. Maybe moding an extension tube to hold gel filters

14. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I can translate Chinese for you guys. Op from Chinese site bought adapter for his 14-24 custom made by that camera shop he shopped at. Works fine with DX, but do vignette with FX cameras.

Many suggested DX shooters to go with 12-24 and call it a day. 105mm filters will be expensive and compromised on FX cameras, which defeats the purpose of having this lens in the first place (high IQ, corner to corner sharpness).

15. One thing I have noticed about this lens is that is does very nice blue skies, where maybe I would use a C-Pol.

Just a test shot, but this is straight of my D60.

[​IMG]

Off couse, sky renditon aside, I will want to remove reflections and also use ND filters..

16. The 17-35 f/2.8 is still in production right? If it is, I don't see what the issue is. 17mm is still wide on FX and I see the 14-24 2.8 as a compromise lens that gives you a lot of bang for the buck. You get an ultra wide zoom at 2.8 tack sharp. You basically have every wide angle prime in one lens. 14, 18, 20 and 24.

Though it does hinder the purpose especially since wide-angle shooters do use filters more so! :wink:

17. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

Yeah, big bummer with the filters. Those come in very handy for creative work. Sharpness aside though, the price point is what makes it very attractive. To get 14-35mm coverage

$1550 14-24 f/2.8
    $320 35mm f/2
    Total $1870

VS

$1420 14mm f/2.8 Prime
    $1500 17-35 f/2.8
    Total $2920