DLSR timeline and notes

Newbies often ask questions about older models and the relationship between Canon and Nikon models. I hope to answer some of them here with a timeline and notes. Your comments are welcome, of course.
DLSR Timeline
Nikon D1 4.5fps 2.6mp Jun-1999
"Nikon's entry into the professional DSLR market makes a big hit. This camera is hot and sells well. Even though Nikon's AF system
is lacking compared to Canon. But, it's not enough to turn around the pro's who have switched to Canon because of the AF issue."

Nikon D1H 5fps 2.7mp Feb-2001
Nikon D1X 3fps 5.1mp Feb-2001

"Nikon is flying high with two new models of camera that up the ante and start to turn around some of the AF issues. Things look good for Nikon."

Sep-2001 Canon 1D 8fps 4.1mp
Sep-2002 Canon 1Ds 3fps 11mp

"Canon finally swings back at Nikon and makes not one, but two great cameras that compete with Nikon and turn the tide back somewhat. The introduction of the 1Ds starts grumbles in the Nikon camp asking where a competing model is.

Nikon D2H 8fps 4mp Jul-2003
"Nikon shows it has been sleeping. The logic used to introduce a camera that has the noise characteristics and resolution of a camera produced by Canon two years ago will be questioned for a long time to come."

Jan-2004 Canon 1D MKII 8fps 8.2mp
"Canon really hits Nikon hard and times are becoming difficult for Nikon shooters. The introduction of the MKII just six months after the introduction of the D2H really highlights the questionable choice on Nikon's part and times are hard for Nikon shooters. It is a hard time to shoot Nikon."

Nikon D2X 5fps 12mp Sep-2004
"The D2X is a good studio camera. Nikon handling is at an all time high, but the versatility of their cameras is questioned widely."

Sep-2004 Canon 1DsMKII 4fps 16.6mp
"Another full frame camera has Nikon shooters clamoring for a competitive model. Since none is in sight, many people switch to Canon cameras as they have given up on Nikon."

Nikon D2Hs 8fps 4mp feb-2005
"This update of the D2H does little to calm Nikon grumblers. It fixes some of the perceived problems with the troubled D2H model, but does nothing to help Nikon shooters compete in the PJ arena. More defectors loudly exit."

Aug-2005 Canon 1DMKIIN 8fps 8.2mp
"The N version of the 1DMKII repairs focus problems with the MKII and fixes a few other problems that were never acknowledged by Canon."

Nikon D2Xs 5fps 12mp Jun-2006
"Another minor update to the X model does nothing to stop the grumbling and defections on the part of people who need better low light performance, more resoluton and want a 135 framed camera."

Feb-2007 Canon 1DMKIII 10fps 10mp
"Canon introduces a body that should be a home run, but is saddled with problems in the Af system that make it a serious problem for Canon."

Nikon D3 9fps 12mp Aug-2007
"Without much in the way of leaks, Nikon introduces a camera that turns everything completely around. The defections to Canon are reversed and then some. It seems that all of the Nikon defectors return with what has become a legend in it's own time."

Aug-2007 Canon 1DsMKIII 5fps 21mp
"A solid camera from Canon only seems to have Canon shooters ask "why not fix the MKIII?"

Nikon D3X 5fps 24mp Dec-2008
"A top of the industry model only adds to Nikon's perceived lead in the professional camera market."

Nikon D3s 9fps 12mp Oct-2009
"The S update to the D3 seems to head off the leaked specs of the MKIV. Nikon is still on top and is earning back all of their (loyal?) customers."

Oct-2009 Canon 1DMKIV 10fps 16mp
"The MKIV is introduced with nice specs, but will have a lot of people looking at it with skepticism after the MKIII version. The jury is still out on this one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Well, to be truthful,

some DSLR models are lacking,

D100, the first truly affordable DSLR from any company with great file quality etc. at a good price point, many folks first DSLR, the Canon D60 another nice camera, and also a great price point, about equal, but the file quality of the nikon was important for the under $2000 market.

And there for a while the D200 had no answers from Canon at the semi pro level with a better AF than the 20D, and short of a pro level body at a high price Canon couldn't answer that in a DX body for wildlife photographers at that price point,

20Da astrophotography camera, many bought this model and still use it today.

D300, even after two years was still superior to the 40D and 50D and had better noise characteristics and better AF and 8 FPS with the grip.

and the big hurt for nikon for a while, the 5D. Many many people moved because of full frame in a standard body size.

I was only trying to focus on the top end bodies. This was partly in answer to questions like "whya re all of the lenses I see at football white" and such.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
got it, understand now, I should have spotted that :smile: Duh.... sorry to sound so negative,

However, the D200, D300, while not true pro level bodies, have hearly full weather sealing, and the 5D was used by a huge number of pros and wedding photogs.

But as I said, sorry, and thanks for the knock on the head.

Wade

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Could someone possibly give a very simple explanation of the Canon camera names, just a really simple explanation that I can remember as I find them baffling. i.e. what is roughly equivalent to the D1, D2 D3 series, what is equivalent to D100, 200, 300, what is equivalent to D40, D70, D80, D90 series. Is a simple explanation even possible? (The Nikon numbering is really quite simple).

You find Nikon numbering simple? D1, D2, D3, are top end FX bodies. D700 is FX body for pro-sumers. D100, D200, D300 are top end DX. D40, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90 are consumer DX. So how does D3000 fit the mix? Numerically sorted Nikon gives us:

D1, D2, D3, are top end FX bodies.
D40, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90 are consumer DX.
D100, D200, D300 are top end DX.
D700 is FX body for lower price that D3's I guess
D100, D200, D300 are top end DX.
D3000, D5000 are low end consumer equipment for Costco sales

That doesn't seem simple to me :)

Could someone possibly give a very simple explanation of the Canon camera names, just a really simple explanation that I can remember as I find them baffling. i.e. what is roughly equivalent to the D1, D2 D3 series, what is equivalent to D100, 200, 300, what is equivalent to D40, D70, D80, D90 series. Is a simple explanation even possible? (The Nikon numbering is really quite simple).

I can't say I understand myself, but here goes:
Canon 1 series equals Nikon D1, D2, D3 etc
Canon double digit equals Nikon triple series e.g. Canon 50D is supposed to go against the D300.
Canon Xti etc. are meant to go against D3000 etc.

Part of the problem is that Nikon and Canon don't have cameras that directly compare. I think this is on purpose. So, the D300 has some things that are better than the 50D, and vice versa.

Latest threads

Top Bottom