1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

'Do Any Of You Read The Magazines - If So Which Ones?'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panther, Aug 1, 2009.

1. As a fledgling newbie, I sometimes find myself glancing at the photog magazines on the racks. Although I haven't purchased one yet, the thought has crossed my mind a few times.

Just wondering what you folks read (if you do)....Tks:smile:

2. I was given a gift subscription to Outdoor Photographer. There are some useful articles in there from time to time. The problem with most publications, not just photography based ones, is that 2/3 of the pages are advertising. I would not have a problem with if it were a free publication, but paying to read advertisements is a drag. Fortunately a lot of these articles are also available on the magazine's website, so it doesn't hurt to look every few weeks for new and interesting articles.

3. I take other magazines and look at the pictures. does that count? :tongue: But in all seriousness, ive read Outdoor Photographer also, its pretty interesting. Ive looked through some others, i forget the names though hahaha =/

4. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    I got a subscription to Popular after just reading my library copy for 25 years. $7.00, what the heck.

Leica Photography International is stopped, View Camera is stopped. Camera Art is stopped. That`s about $150 a year.

I read Digital Photography at the library and save the $50.00.

5. I've never subscribed to a photography magazine and seldom read them. Much more information is available on the internet now.

However, I purchased a copy of Nature Photographer a few weeks ago, and I have been quite impressed with it. They give complete technical data on every image published.

I may subscribe to it.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Outdoor Photographer and Shutterbug.

7. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    +1 and Pop Photo

8. I just did.

9. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Like Ronald, Pop Photo. For $7.00 a year its worth it.

10. The UK mags are my favorites. I also like outdoor photographer and pop photo, too. I tend to buy too many, just ask my wife.....

11. Thanks everyone for the comments!

12. If I may add some international flavor:

After buying and reading the most popular photo mags for several years here in Germany, I quitt. All they do is reporting about new equipment (don't need all this updated info on coolpix-like cameras), testing new equipment (but only the most popular equipment like the latest 18+ zooms -- don't need that either), sometimes nice photoshop tips and very seldom interesting shooting tips (you will get more and better information when reading a good book or, of course, browsing the internet).

And, btw, $ 7 for a year long subscription would be a dream here, since this is more like the price for a copy.

However, while regularly checking the BJP website, I learned that nowadays it may not be the best time to visit the UK with a camera :eek: :tongue:.

13. For me there are the usual suspects, Pop Photo and Shutterbug. But I picked up on a magazine from the UK called Amateur Photographer. It gives some rather interesting short takes on a range of photography and the actual steps and settings used to get the shot.

14. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    It looks interesting, but a 1-year subscription to the US is $192!

15. Started with "Modern Photography" now Pop and Outdoor. Only because they are cheap and like to have something to read at the table in the a/m. If not for that I would not subscribe.

16. I'n not seeing how or prices on your link.

17. I subscribe to Pop Photo, Shutterbug, and Outdoor Photographer. I find better info here and on other forums like byThom.
    I sometimes buy Digital Photography How-to-Guide ,and the British ones , Digital Photo and Practical Photography.The British ones sometimes have CDs for photoshop, but you can find better ones on you-tube.
    The Dig Photography How-to-guide has been helpful.
    These British ones emphasize Canon. Anyone know the name of one more for Nikon.?
    I'm going to Barnes and Noble later , they have a very big selection to peruse. They have more than Borders.
    I have bought other magazines if they have a few articles on macro or hdr or landscape that I want to read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.