Do I buy a D4 or wait?

I'm going to look at a D4 tomorrow as a higher frame rate camera than my D800e.
What's brought this about? Well, I've started taking racehorse pictures for a few trainers around and about Lambourn, Berkshire, and more and more, I'm being asked for series photographs of a few of them galloping. The D800e is okay for a few frames and then I hit the buffer, whether it's jpeg(better) or raw(I mainly shoot raw but have been using jpeg to get a few more images together, not ideal)
I've been looking at the D4, but I'm concerned with the 16mp over the D800e 36mp and this is a concern as I've had to have some images printed at A1 size, and with the D800e they still look absolutely stunning, but at 16mp?
That's the question, I know how great the D4 is, but with increasing rumours of a possible D5 or D4x with almost certainly a higher megapixel sensor, do I wait or bite the bullet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With more megapixels come lower frame rates, (at least that's how it is now). Can you rent a D4 for a couple of days and see how you like it?
I did make some enquiries today about doing just that, but couldn't find a store within a reasonable distance from me that was prepared to rent one out. Trouble is I'm pretty much booked to do a shoot on Friday on the gallops, I did borrow a friends D4 a couple of months ago and was blown away by it. Just slightly nervous spending £4000 on something that may not help me!

I did make some enquiries today about doing just that, but couldn't find a store within a reasonable distance from me that was prepared to rent one out. Trouble is I'm pretty much booked to do a shoot on Friday on the gallops, I did borrow a friends D4 a couple of months ago and was blown away by it. Just slightly nervous spending £4000 on something that may not help me!
Can't help you there mate. It is a lot of money but it is a lot of camera. Good luck with your decision.

Past performance is not a guarantee for the future, but...

• D700: loved by everyone. Replaced by the not-quite-equivalent D800 (if you have a need for mega-mega pixels) and the lesser-bodied D600 (I have a D7k and love it, so no complaints over the body, but it is a step backward from the D300/D700)
  • D300: 'nuff said. Unless you consider the D7k series the replacement?

So, do you really want to wait and find out what is going to replace the D4?

I use a D3S and have printed photos at A1 size (mostly football players and dogs) with no issues. Granted I did not compare a printed photo side by side with one taken with a D800. That said I am sure the D4 will give you the desired result.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
The camera next up on the pro-level rumor mill is the D4x. Rumors have it going from anywhere from 40 to 50+ megapixels. If the rumors are true, even with the innards of a D4, the frame rate isn't going to be that much better than a D800, although the buffer will probably hold more captures. How many more? Anybody's guess, but my ballpark estimate would be 30-50 raw captures.

Real Name
Colin Carter
The camera next up on the pro-level rumor mill is the D4x. Rumors have it going from anywhere from 40 to 50+ megapixels. If the rumors are true, even with the innards of a D4, the frame rate isn't going to be that much better than a D800, although the buffer will probably hold more captures. How many more? Anybody's guess, but my ballpark estimate would be 30-50 raw captures.
I've also heard that its going to be priced around 10,000 USD

I'm concerned with the 16mp over the D800e 36mp and this is a concern as I've had to have some images printed at A1 size, and with the D800e they still look absolutely stunning, but at 16mp?
Why don't you resize one of your 36Mp images to 16Mp and print it out at A1 size? I doubt you will notice a difference.

As you can see. I went and bought one and whilst there saw the 85mm F1.4G. Had to have that too
Went to the gallops this morning (very early!) and managed a run of 36 raw images and no buffering!
Amazing piece of kit.
​Was in love with the D800e, but now, she's my second love and the D4 my first and true......

Real Name
Colin Carter
As you can see. I went and bought one and whilst there saw the 85mm F1.4G. Had to have that too
Went to the gallops this morning (very early!) and managed a run of 36 raw images and no buffering!
Amazing piece of kit.
​Was in love with the D800e, but now, she's my second love and the D4 my first and true......
A burst of 36 raw files for the d4 is just a warm up, it can go to 110 with the s series xqd cards. Then in 5 seconds it can go again.

If this is the sort of performance you need, the isn't another camera on the market that can hold a candle to the d4

A burst of 36 raw files for the d4 is just a warm up, it can go to 110 with the s series xqd cards. Then in 5 seconds it can go again.

If this is the sort of performance you need, the isn't another camera on the market that can hold a candle to the d4
Many thanks Colin.

Since the D3s came out 2 years after the release of the D3, a new D4s could be released in March 2014. Some rumours say the D4s could have a 24MP sensor ... then again it are only rumours. :)

edit: never mind ... see you already bought one. Congratulations! :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom