1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do I have to smile?

Discussion in 'People' started by P'Cola-Roy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. A quick test shot from yesterday. It was one of my first in my little studio using my AB800 to wash the background. I decided to try a little B&W conversion on it.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I like this.
    What a nice looking young lad.
    It has a "shot on film, printed on paper" feel, with all the great tones.
    Nice

3. Wow, this is fantastic!
    Roy, you have a real winner here!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Now that is really nice - wonderful capture, great lighting, a real piece of work and cute kid to boot!

5. Thanks Doug, Virginia and Tim.

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    A real fun one Roy - made me smile! Great film like PP.

7. Thanks Fred.

8. What an adorable subject! And a great job on the photography, too! I did think the photo benefitted from just a little lightening.:
    550616073_7cbef5a54e_o.jpg

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Roy :

Truly a handsome young man !

I do agree with Miriam that it could stand a little lightening, although I'd personally consider something between her version and yours.

Whoever the parent is for this fine lad (you, perchance ?), they will have to be proud of this photograph of their son. I'd be immensely pleased to have taken a photo of this calibre.

John P.

10. Excellent! Very cute kid.

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

very emotive.

12. Capturing human emotion with such a pleasing image is always going to be a winner! Nice shot!

Never sure if I truly like solid white backgrounds or not. I am not much of a portrait photographer so far. How do you choose background colors?

13. Thanks John and Miriam. (Yes I'm dad:biggrin:)  After looking at it this morning I agree also. Here is what I did.

original.gif

14. Thanks Mike & Anthony

15. Thanks. As far as BG colors, I really don't know. I'm just exprimenting and learning. I just know that I have seen some images that I like with completely washed out backgrounds.

I intend on also replacing the bg on some imagers taken like this. It makes it a lot easier to select and cut out... I think:confused: 

16. Roy, Your redo is the best one. I did overllighten it. Looks great!

17. WOW! That's really nice Roy... Such a perfect capture and the skin texture is exquisite.

You have a lot of lighting gear in your signature... mind sharing the setup?

18. There he is!! Looking good Roy!!!

19. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Roy :

Two things...

You nailed the light level with this version. Kudos, sir.

And, judging from the expression on that kid, you're an incredibly lucky dad !

John P.

20. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Roy .... that is a GREAT picture! I have to say when I first saw it ... I had to chuckle, well, because kids will be kids. His face just conveys the title for this thread. He is a good looking boy .... and so photogenic. Tell him that there are some gals and guys on the board waiting for more pictures of him!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.