1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do I need a domain name?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bvonarx, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I want to create SmugMug Pro account and think having my own domain name link to it is a good idea. I don’t want to set up my own website (yet) and really want the .com address to put on a business card. The problem is I don’t know what I don’t know. I’ve been to Go Daddy and that seems easy enough, but practically speaking what do I need to think about before jumping in?

2. Alrite Brooks>
    Its a very simple process, well, for me it was anyway.
    With my eample, 1and1.co.uk, I paid about £7 for 2 years regisration for spamclan.co.uk domain, a .com domain is higher priced, at about £14 per year.
    Once youve registered a domain, with any domain resgistrar, theres options to select for where it points, like if youve got hosting, then itll point to that hosting address, or i this case, itll be a redirect to your smugmug account.
    Thats pretty much it, I can really go into detail, as fo not know what registart youll be using, but if you were to use 1and1.co.uk, then ill be able to guide oyu through it, if in doubt, just ask the registar, and theyll be happy to help, hope this helps, Tom.

3. I have my own domain name with my Smugmug pro account. www.naturesportal.net Just go to the smugmug forum under support and there will be links to how to set it up.

Nancy

4. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Good thread and question, I just got a domain name from go daddy as well and I was wondering the same thing. It would be nice to get started with Smugmug with your own name and then design and finalize your web site to switch over.

If someone has done this please educate us.

5. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Ok, I'm following these instructions, however, it seems I'm getting lost when it comes to step 4 and 5.

Any help is appreciated. When type in my domain name it directs me to smugmug, however, it does not go to my personal page.

"OK, I figured it out"

Removed Links.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.