Do I need an SB600?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ultimind, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't anything crazy with flashes, but I would like something that works with my D70's remote commander mode. Does this limit me only to the SB600/800? Or can I find a cheaper used speedlight instead?

2. You are pretty well locked in with the SB800/600 if you want the CLS to be active. If you just want to shoot in manual there are other options. If you can afford it I would buy the SB800/600 as this will open up lots of options for you.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm planning on getting a D1H as well... How does an 80DX or similar speedlight work on the D1/2 bodies?

4. The SB600 is worth every cent. Why do you think you never see used ones for sale? With the CLS system and the right camera, it's perfect. I know a lot of guys go on about their SB800s but since I have the commander mode in the D200, I pocketed the difference.

Bruce

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    To each his own, but I have seen many more 600s for sale here than 800s.

6. I haven't reached the magic 25 postings yet, Cope, so I don't get to see ANY postings here.

Bruce

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Don't worry, your day will come! :wink:

8. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    You can use SB600, SB800 and SB-R200 flashes off camera. The SB-R200 is much lower power and only really for small subjects. Note that the D70s commander mode only allows one group, so all off camera flashes will be metered as if they were one flash. An SB800 supports commander mode and allows 3 groups.

I guess the SB600 is not a bad choice. If you later buy more flashes, but the SB800 next.

9. Cutlass454

Cutlass454

Nov 29, 2006
    For me, I bought a SB 600 as my first option after I bought my D70s. I really wanted to buy some lenses, but after borrowing a SB 800 for a family photo shoot, I immediately went out and bought a 600.

Definitely worth the the money and as a bonus you can get into the CLS with the purchase of additional SB 800/600/400 units.

10. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Skip the 600 and go with the SB-800. You won't regret it.

11. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I purchased a 600 as my first flash with the knowledge that I would have to get an 800 later (No commander mode on the D50)
    Now I have both and am very happy

12. md0234

md0234 Guest

The first Nikon speedlights to support the CLS were the SB-600/800 and the first body was the D2H. The D1H doesn't have the (generally thought of as more accurate) i-TTL, I believe it uses d-TTL which was not well liked and only pushed by Nikon for a short time after the introduction to digital.

Depending on where you live there can be a huge difference in price between the SB-600 & 800 or not much of a difference at all. I personally do think the extra power, controller, built-in bounce card, sto-fen type defuser, most common two coloured gels are worth the extra money for the 800. Either way though, an SB-600 or SB-800 will make a huge difference and the Nikon CLS is excellent.

If you want to go with another brand, the highly regarded Metz 58 AF-1 N also fully supports all the same SB-800 features including the CLS wireless slave and controller modes. It also has something called a wink light, which is a secondary reflector up front so when bouncing the flash most of the light bounces and a small amount of light goes straight to the subject to give great catch-light. The bad news is that it costs about the same as the Nikon SB-800 so you are not saving any money (in fact it costs a little more) so its not an option to save money, you'd buy it because you like it better.

Now that we've moved into i-TTL, I don't think there is any reason to buy a speedlight older than the SB-600 or SB-800 as you will be missing out on a significant update to the technology and any future bodies you buy of course will not be able to use the CLS system so I wouldn't spend money on the 80DX - unless of course you are a manual shooter and only use manual power modes on the flash in which case you can get much cheaper units/triggers.

13. RoyT

RoyT Guest

For what it's worth I got an SB600 today and within a few minutes have been able to take fairly well exposed images. It's pretty much a plug in and play bit of kit.

Of course this merely means I'm missing something really important and am no doubt going to rue the day i said it was easy :biggrin: