Do I need to upgrade from OSX 10.6.8 ?

I see that Apple has announced another new version of OSX (10.8? 10.9?) and that makes me worry about being left behind. My other worry is that if I do upgrade, some of my current applications won't work.

I would appreciate the thoughts and advice of you Mac gurus.

The machine is a late 2009 iMac 27" i5.

At this point we really don't know all that much about the new "Mavericks" (OS X 10.9) so it's difficult to give you a specific answer. A lot, of course, will depend upon whether or not your machine will be among those which is no longer compatible with the latest upgrade -- I ran into that with Mountain Lion, so for that reason a couple of my old machines are still on Lion.

I tend to be one to upgrade when a new OS becomes available because usually there is a lot "under the hood" in terms of security and such, not necessarily just fancy new readily-apparent features that I might want to use or not use. Yes there is the issue of some software programs not working in the newest OS. I usually evaluate and assess how often I use whatever program(s) are affected and in some cases an upgrade is or will soon be made available while in others I don't care enough about the program to keep it and so letting it go during a change to a new OS doesn't matter all that much. Everyone has different priorities.....

Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) was a nice OS in its day, but Lion and Mountain Lion both offered so many advantages that I am surprised anyone is still using SL.

Yes, you will be left behind if you continue to slog along with Snow Leopard while the rest of the world is frolicking with Mountain Lion or surfing the waves of Mavericks......

We won't know until closer to the time of the actual Mavericks release what compatibility issues might exist, both in terms of hardware and software. I was really surprised when my ancient printer still worked just fine with Lion and then with Mountain Lion, but not too pleased that a couple computers just didn't make the grade for one reason or other. I personally liked Lion and I like Mountain Lion even more -- so, yes, it's worth it to upgrade to them prior to eventually moving on to Mavericks.

Jim, I am on 10.8.4 on a similar Imac and on a MacBook Pro from 2011. No issues with any drivers for printers or software for me. I paid for Mt Lion upgrade on both. this site seems to aggregate compatibility http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

ymmv.

Thanks. That list is very helpful. Looks like I would lose VMWare Fusion as I am still at V. 3.4.

We won't know until closer to the time of the actual Mavericks release what compatibility issues might exist, both in terms of hardware and software.

I am really only interested in going to 10.8 now. Appears that I can do it directly from 10.6.8 for $20.

I like how my iPhone, Mac Pro and MacBook Air all sync with the Cloud. Even Pages, Numbers, and Calendar all sync.
Using Numbers, I can create an invoice on the job, out in the field with my MB Air and check it for details weeks later on my phone.
I no longer have to carry a Notebook computer to work daily.

If you like adventure, update when it comes out. Or you could wait and see the fallout and update once the bugs are ironed out.

But no, you really don't need to upgrade if everything is working fine. I upgraded because I liked the integration between the iPhone and mac.

There are some software's that will not work. I have a old copy of MS word 2004, it will not work.

go to: "About this mac"> More info> System profiler > Software> click Application: and see "Kind"
Universal, Intel, PowerPC

All your POWER PC Kind will NOT work.

I like how my iPhone, Mac Pro and MacBook Air all sync with the Cloud. Even Pages, Numbers, and Calendar all sync.
Using Numbers, I can create an invoice on the job, out in the field with my MB Air and check it for details weeks later on my phone.
I no longer have to carry a Notebook computer to work daily.

That sounds convenient, but since this iMac is my only Apple device, synchronizing is not of interest.

If you like adventure, update when it comes out.

I assume the bugs are all worked out of 10.8, which is all I am interested in at this point. :smile:

All your POWER PC Kind will NOT work.

I don't have any of those, but thanks for the reminder.

Has anyone tried Spyder3 Pro with Mountain Lion? The list in John Bailey's link says it has not been tested.

I had a profile set up with spyder 2 in snow leopard. I knew going into it the hardware itself wouldn't work if I upgraded. I did the upgrade to mountain lion and the monitor profile can still be used but I can't use the calibrator anymore. The spyder website will have the compadibility of their products.

10.8 has been good for me, Jim....when 10.9 first comes out, I'll put it on a separate drive and see how nicely it plays, but my days of automatic updates/ upgrades are over, as each user's setup has potential gremlins

Pa, I've been using 10.8 on my newish laptop, but still using 10.6 on my 2009 iMac. I have been contemplating upgrading my iMac to 10.8, especially now that I know LR5 is not compatible with Snow Leopard, and I'm planning on using LR5. I have also found that 10.8 does not have Front Row, which I used for movies all the time. Also, my X-Rite Eye2 does not work with 10.8, but I got a download from the X-rite site for a free version that does work, not as nicely, but it works. I would say go for it, I haven't found too many downsides that can't be worked around...

Well, the upgrade is done, more or less by default. While I was searching the Apple Store to figure out how to buy it, I was asked to update my "Apple ID". This required entering a valid credit card, which should have alerted me to something, but I thought they just required a CC number on file for the Apple store. Next thing I knew, a popup window told me to shut down for the upgrade. There was no indication that there was anything downloading. Sneaky!

Just beginning testing, but most the main things seem to work. The new Mac Mail will take some time to get used to.

Another sneaky: I just got an e-mail that my Apple ID was used to sign into iCloud. I specifically unchecked "set up iCloud" during the install.

Oh. And smileys don't work on Nikon Cafe now.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom