1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do I relapse?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by agw0, Jul 20, 2008.

1. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    (Would have liked to add images, but SmugMug seems to be down... maybe later)

Is this a severe condition, or is it just a "normal" deviation, or a phase I'm going through?

About two years ago, when I got my D200, I was overwhelmed by the state of the art digital photography had become. I've been shooting film for 20+ years before that, and Nikon gear since around '92. Comparing the images of the D200 to slides shot side-by-side with the F5, I got the the impression, "well, that's it", and seriously thought about selling of all my film gear save for the M3 (mainly for sentimental reasons, got that from my father, who originally bought is around '57 or so).

Well, beginning this year I promised myself to come straight, and said to myself, "if I don't shoot at least 12 rolls of film this year (for an average of 1/mo.), I really will ditch the film stuff".

Well, about half a year later, I finished roll #13 yesterday, which isn't bad considering my current workload & other responsibilities. And I'm more away from digital than I thought possible:

• New D700 FX body released by Nikon? Honestly, I couldn't care less at the moment...
    • New AF-S, PC-E etc. lenses released? Not interested at all, as they wont work on older bodies...
    • I started shooting B&W film again, and do my own developing&scanning.
    • I've had the MN-30 battery for my F5 rebuild by a local shop specializing in battery repairs.
    • Lately, I started using my F3HP+MD4 again. In the last 4-6 weeks, I haven't used anything else.
    • I've put the original K-screen back into the F3, and now enjoy again the opportunity of accurate manual focus.
    • MF lenses have made it to the top of my lens wish list, like the Zeiss ZF 85/1.4. As have some film/full-frame only lenses, like a 15 or 16mm fish eye.
    • I even find myself eyeing the idea of acquiring a mint F3HP+MD4, just for cosmetics.
    • And, to add a last one, I find myself browsing online shops & drooling over 50-packs of my favorite film.

So, should I seek professional help? Do I need treatment? And what would you recommend? Maybe a mint FM-2:biggrin:?

Honestly, I think I'll just enjoy the fun I've found in using my "outdated" gear, and the opportunity to slow down the digital product cycle and the accompanying gear frenzy and to concentrate on taking photos.

I don't want to bash digital photography, nor do I plan to ditch that D200 - for me, it's all about the fun, and for certain applications digital clearly has an advantage (like, high volume bird and aircraft photography, I probably won't do that again with film). And I probably will get an FX digital body sometime in the future (but probably not the current generation).

2. I'm with you, I know what you mean.. and just for the files, this year I've already shot at least 40 rolls among slides and negatives.

3. Since you have the F3, I can't convince you to get a F2AS like mine.
    Best cure is to keep shooting the way you like. Its all about your
    images pleasing you.Yeah, grab more gear when its on sale and
    laugh. Have fun, enjoy,

/Clay

4. Not a relapse. More of a rebirth or renaissance!:smile:

5. I always wanted to be a renaissance man! You're not crazy, you found the art of photography again. I could have written your post myself. Funny isn't it?

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Once you go to film, you will probably start to shoot less, but each individual frame will be more meaningful. This effect will also rub off on your digital shooting, should you choose to continue with that.

7. I haven't done this, but the above statement would be my expectation. Chris, do you continue to shoot digital? What percentage?

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I shoot almost ALL my for pay work digital. This includes events and photo-illustrations (which are the two areas that I do commercial work.) However I have been working on a chemistry book job this month, where the client wants a B&W vintage look. The Leica and Ultron seemed a perfect way to do that, so I'm filming it!

Conversely, I shoot most (80-90%) of my personal work on film. I do, however use digital when it's called for. I especially like to play with the IR'd D70 that Beezle sent me some time ago.

9. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you all for your encouraging words. It's nice to see that I'm not alone on this...

Yes, I fully agree. Compared what I usually would shoot on a walk through down-town with the D200, shooting film at max yields about 1/3rd the frame count (if at all). Still, the rate of "keepers" (however I would define that) seems to be higher.

Well, not so sure about that. Some observations:
    • Shooting landscapes, the frame count per outing with digital is similar to what I would get by shooting film. So, here a higher selectiveness is already given.
    • OTOH, I still do, and probably will do so in the future, cherish digital shooting also because with its "easiness" it is much better suited to just drive through a high frame count on a single occasion. Like, playing with my daughter firing away 200+ shots of her inside of less than an hour, or going plane spotting at the local airport (again, usually a couple of hundred shots inside of a few hours).
    • In general, I like to use film in a different way, and for different things, than digital. Maybe, at the moment it's more about the different way of shooting, than about a special selectiveness towards subject matter. Somehow, it's maybe more "tranquil" than shooting digital. Like, no compulsion to chimp or check the histogram.

10. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Hah, actually I've been thinking about that on and off for years. However, finally the F3 seems to be just so nearly perfect for me when It comes to choosing an MF body, so that I wouldn't expect much more from an F2.

I also thought about adding an F4s recently. However, as I have the F3 and F5, the F4 really seems to be just too much "in between" of those two - or, like we say here in German (freely translated) "neither fish nor meat".

On the other end, the FM2 is just too tiny&lightweight for my taste.

11. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Finally, some images about my condition

From Saturday, F3+MD4, TMY developed in LC-29 1+19. 28/2.8 AiS and 180/2.8 AF(N).

Cheeeeeeeese!
    335916474_FzsQN-L.

Quality Assurance.
    335917468_KPVsb-L.

(I really like tourists. They are so interesting to watch & photograph, enjoying their time...)

The Street is Ours.
    335918394_B8ASc-L.

Public Restroom Here.
    335917922_X9iXu-L.

Thanks for watching, and have a good time shooting some film!

12. H-m-m, these pics really make me want to return to Germany a country for which I have very fond memories. That balloon pic is hilarious by the way - is it for desperate tourists?
    As much as I like Nikon, my journey back to film has led me back to my great favorites - the Olympus OM cameras - small (which I like), well made with good optics.

PS -Arno in English it would be "Neither fish nor fowl"!:biggrin:

13. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Actually, there were preparations for a big street festival to be held after noon. So, the balloon probably was intended for the festival goers. The whole central part of the town was closed for car traffic from Friday evening to Monday morning, BTW. Thats why the road in the picture with the three police staff members is so empty.

And thanks for the proverb - that's something my online dictionary is returning only in small amounts...

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like your pics Arno! Especially the first and third - the way the focussed foreground renders with greater contrast than the blurry background. I never rarely see that with digital.

15. feeling the film love, too

I love digital, but there's something so romantic to me about film--the texture, the psychology, the slowing down of the whole photographic process. When I shoot film, I think longer before I hit the shutter and I pay closer attention to exposure, and how I'm metering. Because I'm fairly new to all this, I feel like using film is making me a more conscientious photographer, teaching me practical lessons that the instant gratification of digital doesn't afford. I love the anticipation of sending film off for developing, and going to pick it up and see what I've got. I'm planning to take a developing course soon, so I can get even more control over my process.

So, I don't know, maybe the film fever is going around. I know I've got it.

16. Hi Arno,
    The 3rd picture is the strongest one among them.
    By the way, my wife and me would like to visit Bavaria for some days, but I'm not sure if this fall or when (due to our heavy home loan, this is).. In Italy there's a famous bavarian soap "Sturm der Liebe" which has a great success, and I have to admit that their photography is just stunning and arose my desire to visit the southern part of your Lander. Aside the "Oktoberfest", which months could be the best for colours and temperature? May and October? Or which?

17. kickserv

kickserv Guest

i hope not

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hope not what? The Bavarian soap?

Oh!! Film fever. Yep, there is an especially virulent strain around. Stick a roll of delta film in any slr camera an you'll get a taste of it. I was happily shooting the odd roll amongst my digital activity, maybe 5% film, just to keep my hand in, ya know. Then I took a photo class on a lark, and the hip young teacher suggested that I try a roll of Delta 100.

Things have not been the same since!

(heh heh heh.)

19. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Hmmm, April&May are good for spring colors, and often quite nice temperature, too. June can be cold and rainy, with July tending towards hot. Late August and September can be quite temperate, too. Notice that the Oktoberfest is in the last two weeks of September (and the first days of October), and usually has very good weather. October can show nice fall colors in the mountains (and usually some nice weather too, even into the first half of November), with November and December becoming nice to hike above the fog layers.
    So, by now we have nearly all except for the last three winter months, which have their share of interesting conditions, too, but usually are not very warm, except for the occasional Föhn days here in Munich, when it can be 18C in early February (and the beer gardens spontaneously open).

In order to be more helpful, I would say that either May or September-October seem best to visit - not too hot, not too cold, nor too rainy (on average at least - never depend on the dependability of German seasons).
    Avoid the Octoberfest weeks if you want to secure reasonably priced accommodation. Otherwise, the opening week-end of the Octoberfest almost every year shows splendid weather (and two nice parades here in Munich, too).

BTW, I'm not into soap operas, but since you wrote so favorably about their photography I might occasionally have a look at that one, if I find the time (usually I'm still at work when they are shown).

20. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    You didn't eat it did you?! :eek: :smile:

Seriously though I've been shooting a lot of film lately, barely got any of it developed though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.