Do I sell my f/2.8's ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by simonramsden, May 14, 2007.

1. I've just purchased a 18-200 VR which should arrive in a few days.

Questions is, should I sell my 24-70 F/2.8 and 70-200 F/2.8 lenses ?

Its not a money thing, I can afford the lens. Its more about, will I use the other lenses ?

Mostly I shoot F/4 or higher, so I won't really miss the shallow DOF cos I don't really use it. Not worried about the macro capabilities of the new lens - I have a Sigma 150mm F/2.8 which is great + I could always stick my 500D on the new lens if needed.

Long reach - I have a Sigma 50-500mm, which accepts teleconvertors so plenty of reach if needed (albeit slow until I can afford a 200-400mm VR !)

The bag is bulging - selling the other lenses would free up some space, and give my wife some play money !

Decisions, decisions !

2. I'd keep them and see how your experience with 18-200VR goes.

VR can't replace fast glass for poor lighting sports

Very nice of you to think of your wife though.

Too bad you live in UK, that 24-70 f/2.8 would sure look good in my bag. And I have room :wink:

3. Wait till the 18-200 arrives before you make any rash decisions.

Gosh that f 2.8 sounds tempting ........

4. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I've found...

I don't really miss anything until it's gone. Namely a 60mm, 12-24, and a 180mm(replaced).

5. What the...

Asking people on a forum if you'll use your other glass after purchasing an 18-200?

If you're not in a dire financial situation...I highly recommend you give the 18-200 a few weeks or even a few months and see if it really does the trick for you. I rarely NEED to switch lenses, but I do because I like to. Perhaps you'll get the itch for shooting with a different kind of lens, and it'd be a shame to reach for a nice fast piece of glass and it not be there.

You gotta make the decision for yourself based on how you feel. Some people will agree and others will disagree with the decision from their personal standpoint...but you gotta figure out what works for you, not for online personalities.

6. That 70-200mm VR is one of Nikon's finest lenses; I would NOT recommend selling that one in favor of the 18-200mm VR! There may come the time when you really want the flexibility inherent in the 70-200mm's speed and ability to accept TCs, etc.

I have the 18-200mm VR and I also have several other lenses, including the 70-200mm VR and the 70-300mm VR. There are times when I'll reach for one over the others for specific purposes. Actually, I tend to choose one of my faster primes or faster zooms over the 18-200mm VR if I'm hanging out around home, and I tend to reach for the 18-200mm VR to stick in the bag or on the camera as the first choice when traveling.

As has been suggested, don't do anything in haste. See how you like the 18-200mm VR before making any decisions. Use it under all kinds of conditions, see how you like its handling, its IQ, etc.

7. Simon,

While it would be nice to free up some cash to surprise your wife, I think that it would be prudent to wait till you actually have the 18-200 and you have made sure by using it, that it fits you style of taking photographs. Granted, both f2.8 lenses are quite heavy, but they are also in a different class than the 18-200. If you can make do with less, by all means...

8. Yes, sell them to me... :biggrin:

9. No

No... I loved the 18-200 but sold it to get 2.8's ... most of the things I shoot are at F6 and higher... The 18-200 is a great lens but not what I was looking for, it is super sharp at 18 to 135 and loses sharpness above 135, it is great for an overall lens but when you need faster glass you get stuck at f3.5 at 18mm.

This said I will surely get another 18-200 in the future.

10. Thanks for the replies....

Guys/Gals

The responses seem to be going with my gut feeling. As much as I like the idea of reducing my kit, I'm sure I'd miss the speed - especially in low light - of the 2.8's.

So - I'm not in a rush - I'm lucky in that right now, I can afford all 3. I'll hang onto the lot until Christmas time - thats when I'd be most likely to need the heavy glass and see how things work out with this new lens.

Then I'll make up my mind - probably to keep the lot....:biggrin:

11. No. No way. Not now.
    You don't need the money you say.
    Shoot with all your stuff a few months.
    Then you will answer your own question.

I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

12. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    No.

Try it for a few weeks/months. While travelling, it will pay you back in
    spades.

Regards

13. travelerx

travelerx

May 19, 2006
    Finland
    In short: NO way!
    At least wait a few months to see if you need the faster and better glass. I have a feeling you'll find reasons to need it.

14. Keep it around and if you don't miss them after six months, I'd get rid of 'em. I haven't shot mine since Oct 2005...

15. Larty

Larty

Apr 12, 2007
    U.S.A.

I'm in the same boat. Sold my 18-200VR to go with the 2.8's and
    so far have not looked back. I do plan on getting the 18-200VR
    again in the future for traveling 1 lens solution.

16. No, keep those they are superb lenses. The 18-200 is a great travel lens but the 70-200 is a classic, one of Nikon's best as is the Beast. If I had a buck for every post I've seen where the person regrets selling a partiular lens I'd have a bundle.

Rich

17. Just curious...people seem to assume you have the 70-200vr and the 28-70 nikkor...you seem to say 24-70 and 70-200...are they the sigma models?

18. I had noticed that "24-70," but had assumed (erroneously?) that it was merely a typo and that he meant the Nikkor 28-70. Does Sigma or some other third-party vendor offer a 24-70mm?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.