Do iPads read NEF files or....

Are they only reading and showing the preview Jpg file which is embedded in the RAW files ? I've never been able to get a solid answer on this one. I've heard that at one point the iPad was able to, but that ever since iOS 4.2 RAW files are no longer supported other than for transfer and storage.

Also, are there any apps for the iPad which can be used to create custom galleries/albums etc? I've heard that iPhoto is fairly useless in this respect. I've been thinking about purchasing a new one, but there are only a few things which would draw me to it at this point.

For one thing, I was looking into wireless tethering with the Eye Fi Pro, (using an CF adapter of course) and perhaps being able to do it without Jailbreaking. But that would only be possible if the iPad was able to be the hotspot. Doubt that's going to happen though.

I don't mind shooting RAW+JPG if my only option of presenting the photos as a portfolio is with a jpg, but it would be nice to see the NEF since I don't know what kind of processing is done to the jpg or how far off the colors would be etc..

So, any hard evidence to support whether or not the iPad displays the actual RAW files or just the embedded jpg ?

Doug

I hope some one can answer this. I shoot RAW and am just about to pop for an iPad2 on Friday. I usually carry a 13" MB in the field for downloads and review, but hope to replace it with the iPad.

Yes, the iPad will import RAW files natively. That is, out of the box with no additional apps being required. However, the image you see on screen is a Jpeg [1]. Remember, there is no such thing as a RAW image as a RAW file is simply the sensor data which describes how to render an image with the resulting image often being a Jpeg.

For example, when you shoot in RAW the image on the LCD is a Jpeg. And when you open a RAW file in ACR or Lightroom you are also seeing a Jpeg image. You never see the RAW image itself because, quite simply, there is no such thing.

Also, when you edit a RAW file, although it may appear as though you are editing an image you are in fact simply altering the RAW data. As those changes are made the results are displayed as an on screen Jpeg preview in real or near real time.

[1] Many RAW files, such as Nikon's NEF files, contain a Jpeg image as well. But again, it is a separate image created from the RAW data. And yes, it is this embedded Jpeg that you see on the iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not 100% on your question...

But I have referenced a few photography folio apps in the iPad sticky at the top of this Cafe section.

I am looking into 2, Xtrafolio & STP:Stash.

Xtrafilio is looking pretty good right now, and promises to be even better in a few weeks.
In addition, it has a "LITE" version you cvan play with for free to help you decide.

Plz feel free to suggest any you come up with and I will add them to the sticky!!!

Douglas B said:
I was looking into wireless tethering with the Eye Fi Pro, (using an CF adapter of course) and perhaps being able to do it without Jailbreaking. But that would only be possible if the iPad was able to be the hotspot. Doubt that's going to happen though.

You can in fact use an iPad for wireless tethering. However, Eye-Fi cards are only one of the needed items. Another being an app called Shuttersnitch for example.

http://2ndnature.thebrew.dk/shuttersnitch/

Also see the following link as referenced on the above... (saves me from having to explain it all :wink: )

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10055-10851

Be aware, there are several ways of wirelessly tethering a DSLR to an iPad, with some using different equipment and software than is mentioned in the above. Unfortunately, this is not an 'exact science' yet and there is no Apple, or any other manufacturers, approved way of doing it. Nor is there a 'kit' (to my knowledge) made by anyone that contains all you will need.

Yes, the iPad will import RAW files natively. That is, out of the box with no additional apps being required. However, the image you see on screen is a Jpeg [1]. Remember, there is no such thing as a RAW image as a RAW file is simply the sensor data which describes how to render an image with the resulting image often being a Jpeg.

For example, when you shoot in RAW the image on the LCD is a Jpeg. And when you open a RAW file in ACR or Lightroom you are also seeing a Jpeg image. You never see the RAW image itself because, quite simply, there is no such thing.

Also, when you edit a RAW file, although it may appear as though you are editing an image you are in fact simply altering the RAW data. As those changes are made the results are displayed as an on screen Jpeg preview in real or near real time.

[1] Many RAW files, such as Nikon's NEF files, contain a Jpeg image as well. But again, it is a separate image created from the RAW data. And yes, it is this embedded Jpeg that you see on the iPad.

I understand about seeing a jpg preview on the lcd in camera, and I understand that an NEF file is simply RAW data, but that doesn't address my question. Since all camera RAW files are proprietary, you'd need software as such, to read it usually. Apple has been very good in terms of having software already built in to OS X which can read most proprietary RAW formats.

So it seems like it shouldn't be true that an iPad can ONLY render the jpg preview, given the fact that if this were the case, then any operating system would be able to render any proprietary RAW file based upon the embedded jpg stored within.

Doug

Douglas, to be fair I did answer your question. I also said the Jpeg images embedded in the Nikon NEF (RAW file) are read by the iPad. And yes, you can save those Jpeg images using the included iPad photos app. No additional apps are required although there are many photo editing apps, etc, available.

Douglas, to be fair I did answer your question. I also said the Jpeg images embedded in the Nikon NEF (RAW file) are read by the iPad. And yes, you can save those Jpeg images using the included iPad photos app. No additional apps are required although there are many photo editing apps, etc, available.

Perhaps then, I don't have a good understanding of the relationship between a NEF file and the embedded jpg. Let me ask this then:

Does the embedded jpg hold all of the RAW (NEF) file's attributes ? If not, then what information does it hold exactly ? Is it stripped down somehow ? (aside from the obvious file size... but then, I would suspect that its size is so small because it does not contain all the RAW info from the sensor).

Doug

So it does.. interesting. Is there a way to strip the jpg previews from a RAW file ?

Doug

Which previews are you speaking of? The jpg image that you see on the camera lcd is temporary. If you are shooting raw, to the best of my knowledge only the raw image is transferred from the card to the computer (or iPad) unless of course you are shooting RAW+jpg. It is then up to the program that opens the raw file to determine how to display the image. Again, to the best of my knowledge, if you open a raw image in, say, Preview the rendering of the raw image is performed by the core graphics in the OS and displayed within Preview. I do not know which, if any, of the in-camera settings a program like Preview can access or use. Few or none is my guess based on the effort Adobe must go through to reverse engineer things. The only program that for sure can use in-camera settings to control the rendering of raw images is Capture NX.

Based on the information on the Apple web site it appears that IOS has similar (or perhaps identical) core graphics capabilities to OS/X.

Douglas B said:
Does the embedded jpg hold all of the RAW (NEF) file's attributes ? If not, then what information does it hold exactly ? Is it stripped down somehow ? (aside from the obvious file size... but then, I would suspect that its size is so small because it does not contain all the RAW info from the sensor).

Yes, since a Jpeg is created using the RAW data, that RAW data can be mathmatically manipulated. And by doing so we can essentially create any image we want. However, there are limits. For example, one can only increase or decrease exposure so much before clipping occurs. That limitation is primarily due to the sensor itself and how much highlight or shadow detail it can capture (in the form of raw data) at the time of exposure.

Douglas B said:
Since all camera RAW files are proprietary, you'd need software as such, to read it usually. Apple has been very good in terms of having software already built in to OS X which can read most proprietary RAW formats.

So it seems like it shouldn't be true that an iPad can ONLY render the jpg preview, given the fact that if this were the case, then any operating system would be able to render any proprietary RAW file based upon the embedded jpg stored within.

Apple's iPad extracts the embedded Jpeg contained within a Nikon NEF file. It does not read the RAW data itself. It's not a RAW converter, thus it does not render a Jpeg image using the RAW data. See below for more information regarding this.

bpdougd said:
Which previews are you speaking of? The jpg image that you see on the camera lcd is temporary. If you are shooting raw, to the best of my knowledge only the raw image is transferred from the card to the computer (or iPad) unless of course you are shooting RAW+jpg.

Most NEF files also contain an embedded Jpeg image. So, even if you shoot only in RAW, there is often a Jpeg embedded in the NEF file as well. You can prove this to yourself by taking any Nikon NEF file and using freely available software, extract a Jpeg image from it. It is not part of the RAW data, but is actually a separate Jpeg image emdedded within the NEF file. When you shoot RAW+jpg the camera is simply creating a Jpeg image using the raw sensor data and then saving it separately.

RAW data is just that, raw sensor data. And together with the embedded Jpeg image we get what we call (in Nikon speak) a NEF file. Simply put, that file contains both the (raw) sensor data and a Jpeg image created using the raw data.

Don't confuse the above process with RAW converter software. In which case the software uses only the RAW data to create an image in a number of possible file formats. In other words, ACR and Lightroom for exampe are doing out of camera what the camera processor can (and does) do itself. Nikon Capture NX2 does the same thing, but also has the ability to read Nikon's picture control data (also embedded in NEF files) to create a Jpeg image.

And yes, the LCD preview is temporary but it's created using the RAW data along with Nikon's picture control settings. Think of it as Nikon Capture NX2 'lite' in the camera. That said, and I've been asked this before, the Jpeg you can extract from the NEF file does not have Nikon's picture control effects (sharpening, etc) applied to it. That only occurs with the LCD preview or with files processed using Nikon Capture NX2.

One thing to take away from this is to remember that RAW data and a NEF file are not equal. Although colloquially speaking they are often used interchangeably, they are not one in the same.

RAW data + embedded Jpeg + picture control data = NEF file.

bpdougd said:
The only program that for sure can use in-camera settings to control the rendering of raw images is Capture NX.

Legally and thus for all intents and purposes, a practical matter, that is true. However, there may be (are) others.

- Simplicity is a complicated thing -

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom