Do these work ?

I hesitate to offer up more youth football with the great post's here tonight.
But I am trying to come up with something other than the normal 5x7's ..
Do these work for you folks ? I hope parents will like them.

359167234_ntTG2-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

359167248_86Swc-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not a fan of the texture (or whatever that's called). In #1, I find it highly distracting across his helmet, it draws my eye up.

The shots themselves are strong, and I feel they stand nicely on their own. :smile:

Rod

I take my hat off to you for trying this. It ain't easy. I tried, but mine looked like crappola. I think you're off to a good start tho'.

I like the grunge look and what you're trying to do. I think they're good, but I'd like to see a little more use, but in the background, if possible.

Have a look at these posters and his use of grunge. IMHO, these are more art than photography...kinda sorta. Read the entire post. There are links to some tutorials.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/624234/0#5520362

Hey Rod, I think it's a great start and I would just make the top and bottom borders a little thinner so that more of your photo shows through. By the way, it's always hard to post after seeing Mike post any pics, but I think all of your football images posted today have been really excellent. The photos above are really great captures and I think the parents will be thrilled!

Well it sounds like the concensus is they don't work. I apreciate the honest opinions.
I have done some others for a family that were a little different than these and they
loved em. They were a little more time consuming to make though.

Thank goodness for digital ! . .Can always delete without any cost..:biggrin:

But then again without digital we couldn't make things like this.

Rod,

I also know that trends run in areas, and if treatments such as this are popular by you, then these may well sell! :smile: I would back the first one off a bit, so its off the helmet.....that still bugs me. :wink:

I think your work is very strong, and were these my son, I'd be happy to buy them as is! :biggrin:

It woks for me but not for most parents. When I used printroom for fulfillment, edges were an option. Very few went for that option though there was no additional charge for it. Offer it as an option. Just be sure to charge for the extra work.

I am in the experimental stage as well but not with products. This season I think I am going to no longer post 200+ very good photos from a game, but maybe 25 awesome shots but charge a lot more also. Obviously depends on the sport. Then I am going to only offer prints on linen paper which does not scan very well. It's a high risk strategy with failure a higher probability but so what it's not my main source of income. Also, experimenting with film if you can believe that.

I think existing clients will get the old price for the year but new clients have to pay the higher prices. My dream prices are: http://tinyurl.com/5ek2u7

Interesting thoughts there Alex.

I think limiting the number of posted shots has it's obvious drawbacks - ie - no photo there for mum, she not going to buy. So, would still have to have each individual from a game just in case - and then my customers will then often purchase multiple different shots of the same boy or girl, so, there you go, up to 100 photos maybe for one game of football.

Next season though I am going to also dispense with 5x7's and just sell 8x10s and up if required, poa - and also game CD's that I think are getting more and more popular

Those print prices are wow on NCAA. Wouldn't that be nice - I take it to demand these prices that they have exclusive rights at these games

Those print prices are wow on NCAA. Wouldn't that be nice - I take it to demand these prices that they have exclusive rights at these games

Officially yes, but realistically no as there are dozens of photogs on the sidelines. I spoke to one team photog who acknowledged he can't sell his photos, then he said but...

I am struggling with game CDs. It's popular and I offer them also, but another photog friend of mine offered CDs as well. Then one of his photos appeared in the paper with no attribution so he was a bit miffed. Also, I wonder what happens when someone makes a lousy print (bad printer, bad crop, etc) and someone says "who shot that photo?" I can hear it now. "Oh Alex shot it...Well I'll be sure never use him."

Latest threads

Top Bottom