Do those Sigma DG lenses really have better optical quality?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 16, 2005.

1. I'm looking to buy a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and found a great used deal at the shop for $1000, but it is non-DG.

Considering that lens goes for about $2000 new, does the 'DG' designation make a $1000 difference? :cool:

I'd rather not spend the extra money for "better lens coating", if it's not that big of a difference I would rather just spend a grand!

2. Well, I can show you tons of images with the "old" non-DG version, and darned if I can find anything wrong with them myself. I don't see color or flare problems, and I have not seen any conclusive data yet that gives me a clue as to why the difference in price. For what it is worth, I wouldn't spend the extra money myself. That is a great deal for a lens that is not often found used. I bought mine used, with a Sigma 1.4TC, for $1480 last March and was quite happy with the price at that time.

Let me know if you want to see samples, I'll be happy to send you some NEF's to look at if you really want to see the details.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. By the way, how is the quality at f/2.8? I was highly dissappointed with the 70-200 Sigma HSM, and eventually got myself a 70-200 VR. I hear the 120-300 is very good at f/2.8, any examples?

5. very sharp lens...

it's sharp at 2.8...very sharp from f4 on up to 5.6...
    it's designed to be used from wide open to around 5.6 ..
    I had one and only got rid of it because I bought the 200-400vr..
    The Sigma 120-300 is the best zoom I have used other than the
    200-400...
    I found it to even be sharper than the 70-200vr...
    if you can get it for 1,000 and it's a good copy...jump on it...
    if later on you decide it's not what you want, you can always sell
    it for 1,400 and will sell like a hot cake..

6. Thanks Michael!

I remember you shot all those Miami beach babes with the 120-300! :biggrin:

In fact you should refresh the memory of all us bachelor-single Nikonians by posting those shots again! :wink:
    Which focuses faster for you by the way? Does the 120-300 focus faster or the 200-400? I hear the 200-400 is a tad slow in focusing.

7. Jonathan, my answer is not directly comparable but I feel my Sigma 300/2.8 prime focuses a lot faster than the Nikkor 300/2.8 AF-S I have rented from the local pro shop. Even with the 2.0x TC on I don't notice much of a difference if any.

Check some of my stuff I've been posting in the Nature / Wildlife forum for sharpness, etc on the Sigma prime. Everything I have read regarding the 100-300 is that it is just as sharp.

HTH

-Brett

EDIT: I have the NON DG version, TC and Lens...

8. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Word from Sigma

I sent an E Mail to Sigma Support yesterday asking what the difference was between my Sigma 50-500 APO HSM EX and the newer 50-500 DG. Their response was that the only difference was the lens coating.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jonathan,

Buy it, or I will but it for only a $1000 and sell it on ebay for a quick profit! Where is the store? :) gosh what a deal!

It is a superb lens, The only difference on the New sigmas is the coating, If you don't need more reach with the 200-400 or VR, The Sigma is the way to go. for $3500 less even!

Wade

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Also,

I have mentioned this numerous times here and on other forums, the Nikon 300 2.8 AFS non VR with 2x adapter is slower focusing than the Sigma 300 2.8 HSM EX with Sigma 2x on both of my D70 cameras.

Others (as you see above) have found the same thing out.

Wade