Do you buy books about photography?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilles, Jun 21, 2005.

1. I can't resist when I see a nice book, I buy it. Here are the last two I bought on the weekend.

http://www.louisetanguay.com/pages_barre_navig/produits.html

Note: Have a look at her photos, a lot of them are outstanding. Pretty much all of them taken a little bit everywhere in the Province of Québec.

2. Zulu-

Zulu- Guest

Yes!!

but book of interest....

I have 4-5 books about black & white photography, and one book about low light and night photography.

I feel in my stomach a lust for lightning comming on, so maybe in the future I'll be filling my bookshelf with that subject...

(It's a bit like that lens evil lust :twisted: :twisted: but as expensive)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Maybe we should start a book chain around. Book rate is cheap to send.

share what we have and pass it to the next etc.

I have a ton of them...

We could start the
    BLL

Book Lust List :>)))

4. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes but VERY rarely.

Pity they are so expensive.

I get Diane Arbus, Bill Brandt stuff and occasionally get technique books like studio lighting etc

5. Simon, I really like Diane Arbus photos. especially the one with the kid with two grenades in his hands.

As for Bill Brandt his pictures are very contrasty, I like them.

Can I suggest two books from a photographer that had been called the master of lighting Irving Penn, the first one FLOWERS ISBN 0517540746 and the second one IRVING PENN ISBN 0870705628 the last one is an overview of his lifetime work.

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks Gilles

You bet - thanks for that, I'll try and check out a book shop in the weekend. Although I'm not into flower shots, I'm definately into studies on light.

Heh - that Diane Arbus "kid with grenade in park" shot - thats a classic, one of my favourites too

Btw: Where is Diane Arbus now, I havent seen any recent work from her and Google returns a load of bookshops on her work with no details on the artist herself.

many thanks,

7. Simon, look at amazon.com first if those book are still available, the last one has everything in it. His photos from fashion magazine, picture of jewels, flower, from his book worlds in a small room, etc.

As for Diane Arbus she killed herself, I guess that taking those kind of picture stressed her to death.

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gilles-

there are a couple of used bookstores in my area and i regularly check the photography section. i usually find their selection to be wider than the local borders or b&n.

my next thing is to actually READ the books i've purchased 8)

ricky

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't buy "photo" books too often, but I do occasionally pick one up if I see them for a really good price at Costco or on the bargain shelves at B&N.

What I do buy a lot of is photography books. I'm an avid reader and for the last year I've been reading photography books almost exclusively. Usually I pick them up at Amazon, though if there are Amazon sellers with much cheaper used prices I may go that route.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Books? Isn't that what the 'net is for?

I love books, but honestly, they just cost too much for poor old me. I wish I could be able to pick up some good books on lighing.

It's also difficult to sit in a bookstore for more than 5 minutes with two toddler kids running around (the youngest of which loves to tear pages out of books)!

11. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I confess...I am a Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Amazon addict. I have boxes showing up here weekly with books.

I love the brick & mortar stores, but the online discount pricing/free shipping is too much of a savings.

I buy all kinds of books...as for photography, I buy some learning/technique books and some photographer portfolio/collection/essay books.

A few names thrown around:

Ansel Adams, Moose Peterson, John Shaw, John Hedgecoe, Galen Rowell, Milton Greene, John Kelly, David Cardinal, Sam Garcia, Thom Hogan, Bill Durrance.

C

12. laughing at Ricky (fks)!
    I like Gale's idea.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave I'll make a list...

Tell me which ones you would like to read.

Give me a few days though.

14. no rush. i am like Ricky. Some of the ones I will share in return are as of yet unread. I have good intentions. I often wait till a time that I can focus on the given subject and then read everything available on it untill i get what I feel I need. I suppliment this with internet searches. There is so much knowledge amongst the members here that I can get most any bit of direction or info here.

15. Have you ever seen a picture in a book and said I can do the same only to find out after trying, that's better said than done.

16. I like to read those books in bookstores, but have only bought two in the past 1 year :
    National Geographic's 'Through the Lens', and
    Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, The Image & the world

17. I love books too, but also have the problem of buying and not reading them. I'm currently "reading" four books related to photography:
    - John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
    - The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby
    - Photographic Composition by Tom Grill and Mark Scanlon
    - The Negative by Ansel Adams

Phil, I was given National Geographic's 'Through the Lens' as a gift but haven't read it yet. Is it good?

18. Kim, one book i like very much of Ansel Adams is "Examples, the making of 40 photographs" in which he explains how he done those.

Is your book on photographic composition deals with black & white and color?

19. Gilles, thanks for the AA book suggestion. I'll give it a browse in the bookstore sometime. The composition book I haven't looked at for a while, but I think the answer is yes. I found the book on Ken Rockwell's site. Check amazon for the table of contents. I think there's a chapter devoted to color, but I'm not sure if there's anything specifically addressing the effects of black and white. Hope that helps.

20. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    It's a great book, isn't it? I loved it.

C