Do you buy books about photography?

yokimbo said:
Phil, I was given National Geographic's 'Through the Lens' as a gift but haven't read it yet. Is it good?
Kim, it's a good collection of National Geographic photos throughtout the years. If you like NG's style, you'd love it. And it's a very nice coffee table item.

fks

hi kim and phil-

i have the same book too. as phil said, it's a good collection of NG photos through time. i remember seeing some of them when i was a kid reading my grandparent's collection of issues from the fourties through sixties (back when the cover didn't have a photo).

ricky

Phil K said:
yokimbo said:
Phil, I was given National Geographic's 'Through the Lens' as a gift but haven't read it yet. Is it good?
Kim, it's a good collection of National Geographic photos throughtout the years. If you like NG's style, you'd love it. And it's a very nice coffee table item.

Cory, Shaw's book is so far so good. I read the chapters about close up lenses (filter size diopters) and zoom lenses. So far so good. I have Nikon's 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF and am trying to decide which close up lens to get, and whether I want Nikon or B+W. Maybe I'll start a post on the Macro forum tomorrow.

Ricky and Phil, the photos are great, but have either of read the NG book? I've read parts of it, they were interesting, but I don't remember what I read anymore.

The Nikon 60mm, 85mm and 105mm Micro lenses are all wonderful...arguably some of the sharpest lenses ever made.

I have the Micro 105mm 2.8D AF and love it! Maybe not quite as sharp as the other two - it's best in the middle apertures -- I like the fact that it gives me a little greater working distance.

I am sure you will get some good responses...do a search here, there are a few discussions about them.

For me personally, there is no substitute for Nikon/Nikkor glass.

C

Thanks Cory. I may buy the 60mm yet. I love shooting macro, but am saving for a couple of trips I have to take this year. So, the budget may only allow for a Nikon 5T or 6T. Besides, they're better for travel and I'm still getting quality from Nikon's two element diopter.

Thanks for the suggestion, I really should search before posting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One book I highly recommend for it diversity of picture and extraordinary composition is "The creation by Ernst Haas", after you looked over this book a few time and learn from it, you will see things around you very differently.

Ernst Haas has been called the master of color photography of the 20th century.

yokimbo said:
Ricky and Phil, the photos are great, but have either of read the NG book? I've read parts of it, they were interesting, but I don't remember what I read anymore.
I usually just flip through the pages and look at the photos and haven't read the text much.

Phil, i have the National Geographic Photographer's Field Guide, it's pretty old but very good for someone who start in photography, the size of the book is small enough to carry in a camera bag.

One series of book i forgot to mention and that i like very much is the Encyclopedia of photography put up by Time-Life a few years back, I guess you can have those cheaply in a used book store.

One book i regret not having bough is a limited edition of Ansel Adams work in the early 80's, that book was selling at the time in canadian money between $500 and $600 dollars. Today that book is worth many many times that price.

The only two books about photography that made much of an impact were Bryan Peterson's "Learning to See Creatively" and "Understanding Exposure". I recommend both of them for those that are somewhat new to photography.

Following your suggestions, I just receive today two books by John Shaw from Amazon.

1) Focus on nature

2) Closeups in nature

There's some outstanding pictures in those 2 books.

I know this topic is a little stale, but I wanted to give props to Ron Reznick and his book: Digital Photography Acquisition and Processing Techniques...

If you don't have it you are doing yourself a disservice. Believe it or not, I just purchased it at a used camera shop in SoCal, it's the 2003 version but it's awesome so far and I really hope to employ some of the techniques I am learning this weekend when I hit Bolsa Chica!

About twice a week I have a night out with my 13 y/o daughter.
Most often we hang out at Barnes & Nobles or Borders.
I, when she was 6, said I'd but her all the books she could read.
She's gonna' bankrupt me...voracious little reader that she is!
Nice problem to have. :D

So...to answer the question....
I read, for free, PS books and photography books while she's loading up on my AMEX.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo books

I bought a fair amount of books on technique. But then got stuck in classes...

I've got to say that there's something ...nice... about actually reading a book as opposed to reading on the web.

I have bought a few mostly macro and nature, the John Shaw ones previously mentioned in this thread, Close-ups In Nature, Nature Photographers Field Guide, both excelent.

Another one is Close-up on Insects, photographers guide by Robert Thompson, excellent book although he does use medium format. Beatutiful pictures in this one, the best Butterflies I have seen anywhere.

Macrophotography, Learning from a Master is also very good, is a wealth of information, and loaded with great pictures, lots of macro shots at f2.8 I just don't know how he does it.

Martin

Macrophotography, Learning from a Master is also very good, is a wealth of information, and loaded with great pictures, lots of macro shots at f2.8 I just don't know how he does it.
Yeah that guy's pretty hard-core. I read that book too but honestly it was a bit much for me. I don't really see myself wading into neck-deep swamp water to get a shot, or using some of the elaborate setups he used. Still, it was a pretty interesting read.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom