1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you change the subject focus of your photography from time to time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Lee, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Do you change the subject focus of your photography from time to time?

I think the best two forums for photography on the web are Fred Miranda (mostly Canon) and right here at the café. One of the inspiring things about these sites is the quality of the images that are posted on a daily basis.
    When I finally found my NAS cured, that I have for me the right lenses and cameras right now, I started to visit the image forums more frequently than the for sale or Lens Lust ones. I pretty much just stopped going to gear focused places. My new D200 and current lens line up should allow me to tackle any type of photography that I wish.

I’m finding that I have in the past two years focused on bird imaging. For several reasons – access close to home and knowing that I can get a portfolio image with just a couple hours of effort. As I’ve been viewing the various image forums and working my way through the various image books I have, I can feel my focus shifting somewhat. From I can hardly wait to get my 300 back to which of my lenses am I going to work with this weekend.
    From wide angle fine art/architectural to street shooting, I am now planning, looking, and realizing how easy it is to focus on a single area of photography. For me, I realized that not getting out of my easy/comfort zone (especially street imaging), is somewhat like being focused on NAS. Digital is wonderfully in that we can do the single thing which makes us better photographers with little cost – image and take our current equipment and skills and stretch them.

So, I’m setting some new goals and how I am going to achieve them. I now have two bodies, so when I go out imaging I am going to take both bodies and two lenses. And I am going to randomly choose them. My collection is a small but covers a wide range: Nikkors 12-24, 24-85 D, 80-200 f2.8 2r, and 300 AFS f4 (did I mention its at the DR’s?) and a Tamron 90. At first I was going to set up “rational” pairings, but I’ve decided I’m going to randomly pick them and use them in pairs and I am going to rotate areas of interest at the same time for my local shooting. Everything goes on trips

Will I say, darn I wish I had that lens. I’m sure I will, but I’ll also be sharpening my skills with each lens and forcing myself to see things differently. I am surprised that I am even now doing this. But I’ve been taking images since 1964, and I keep realizing the one truth I’ve learned about photography. For me the joy of photography is the image, be it electronic or the print (I love the print, esp. B&W) and whenever I forget this I put my stuff away – but one day not too long in time, I see a book I’ve got or an image now on the web and I feel the image. When that happens all the NAS goes away, all the “that’s too far” or whatever goes away, and once again I know its time for camera work.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I find myself as an elecetic shooter switching areas of emphasis throughout the year. someimtes over a period of several years. A few years ago, it was nothing but birds, wildlife, before that it was architec stuff and landscapes, then I went through a period of no birding this past spring, and now I am back into it again. Much like me and hobbies, the photog emphasis switches around a lot.

Cheers,

Wade

3. This seems to be the way it works for me as well. I enjoy shooting sports for a while, then I grow tired of it and focus a bit more on IR scenes. Then I began to develop a renewed interest in portraits. I've yet to be bitten by the birding bug - but I won't rule it out. Fortunately, I've almost finished my lens collection, so I can keep my interests reasonably diversified without another purchase.

4. I"ll take pictures of nature, birds, architectures, cars, boats but what interest me mostly are people. As such anything with people in it - my first published picture had a person in it - my first published paid pictures were of cars... I love and can apreciate a good image of any type however I just like taking pictures of people.

5. i fully 100% agree with the dude on this one. i will shoot landscapes, pretty things in nature, etc.. but what i really enjoy is photographing people. i'd love to get into street photography more. my emphasis bounces arounds and moves from genre to genre a few times a year atleast.

6. Two years ago I took a class in Photoshop at a local community college, the projects forced me to shoot many different subjects. It was the first time since college I had required subject matter and weekly critiques.

What a great experience, at age 50, it re-opened my eyes to photography.

7. I am not yet focused on a particular subject matter. Last year I took a BW photography class from a world-class photographer (one man shows at Nikon House, etc.) and each session focused on a different theme: Things, Places, and People. Notice the order he put them in. I had been mostly shooting landscapes and pseudo-arty things, and have been shy about people. His class opened up that joy of people. I'm still shy about it and maybe 1/3 of my shooting is of people, but it's rapidly becoming the most enjoyable. Unfortunately, the class schedule has changed and I can't make it there; and my shooting has become less disciplined. Hmmmmmm.

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    If it looks good and gets in front of my camera, I shoot it. Which probably means I will never be a "master of none".

9. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    About the only thing I don't shoot are people, thanks to 9/11 and the resultant paranoia.

10. Nope, havent been shooting long enough to get tired of my main subject, landscapes.

11. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    I'm a total opportunist. I travel a lot for work and that provides lots of different opportunities and I tend to shoot a lot less around home even though I live in beautiful Colorado. Out of country I shoot cultural sites, urban scenes and nature depending on where I end up.

12. I think to some degree, my subject interest varies with the seasons and what's available. :smile:

While it's nice out, I enjoy sports shooting, birds and landscapes/travel. During the winter, I find myself looking more at "portraits" (not the quality posted here, just shots of my daughter).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.