Do you collect any older camera gear?

My first slr was a Canon AE-1 Program. It's a beautiful silver and black body. I have a little disposable income so I've considered picking one up with a 50mm lens. Just a memory that I think it'd be nice to have in tangible form. That camera really ignited my passion for photography.

Who collects older gear and why? Anything in particular you have a special fondness for?

My first camera was a Nikon Photonic TN that I bought from a news photog from the Chicago Sun-Times. To say it was well used would be an understatement but it served me well to this day. I bought that camera with a 50mm f1.4 nikkor in 1968.

Lots, lots film and digital.
When I was a kid and teenager I could not afford the cameras I liked, so I now buy them on ebay.
1980's AF point and shoot, Minolta Dual AF like. I must have half a dozen of these, some of them of the waterproof variety.
Then I got into the SMENA and have 3 different models, I simply like their lens and rendering, especially on sunny days in the Summer
Got a few foldable 120 which don't get used much.
A couple of heavy metal Russian clones of Leica and Contax. Too heavy to use every day.
A Kodak Retinette 2 which takes very very nice images.
I have 3 Kodak 136 and Agfa 126 cameras that I use with respooled 35mm film for thé 136. Easy to find 3D printed cassettes for these.
My Minox GT is used every month, the Rollei B35 not so much.
The ones I really like and use often are my F65, so light and easy to use, the EM, FE2 and a couple of F90Xs.
Got an FG20 but that was more for curiosity than anything else.
Then I suddenly decided to get a D50, a D40.
I have to say that I am very fond of both, especially the D50 as I can use almost any lens, similar to my D7000.
For the holidays I got several shockproof waterproof compact cameras from Fuji and Nikon.
Last year I played with the Coolpix L25/28/30/32 and found them still very adequate.
Before that I bought on the cheap half a dozen HP Photosmart cameras, from 3-5mp era. Very decent pictures still.
I did not buy all of these, many are given to me, such as my Bronica ETRSi which is brilliant and relaxing to use, a couple of Cosina CS with minolta lenses.
Some I keep for my nephews and nieces for them to use on our holidays.
Almost forgot the Polaroid Spectras/Images instant which the kids love. And a Kodak Disc, with still an unused disc.
As an anecdote, my 5 y.o. niece's favourite cameras (which I keep for her) are a pink Fuji Z33 and a Lomo Single Use 35mm camera with the colour filters on the flash, that feature is her favourite.
So lots of gear, some for me, some for my nephews and nieces, some out of curiosity, all in good condition.

What was the question again?
:)

Last edited:
I don't mean to "collect" but I am the proverbial packrat (and I have plenty of space) so very little of anything has ever been thrown away.

There is a veritable "Museum of Photography" in my attic (including an antique wooden Ernst Zeiss half-plate camera) but I am not entirely sure exactly what else is hiding up there —or in the basement as well.

I do have a lot of Olympus OM-1 equipment and someone I know has just shown a lot of interest in returning to film so I am passing it all along to him.

I keep or have repurchased equipment that I regretted selling. I display a few bodies on a bookshelf and shoot much of my old film gear. I also tend to hang on to my old digital stuff. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Here's my old F3 from the mid 80's. She still sings and I've always kept a fresh battery in it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I keep or have repurchased equipment that I regretted selling. I display a few bodies on a bookshelf and shoot much of my old film gear. I also tend to hang on to my old digital stuff. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Here's my old F3 from the mid 80's. She still sings and I've always kept a fresh battery in it.

View attachment 1636666
She's a beauty!

I love the older gear as it gives a sense of history and a feeling of what can be done without electronics and computers. Yes, I still have my slide rule from university....

Georgie loves the old gear too.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Georgie out shooting with her F2 and a 85mm f1.4

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" gotta love film.... it is so analogue" - Georgie Beagle

I don't know if you call it collecting but when I first got into photography in the late 70's the Nikon F2 was the "it" camera but of course well out of my price range. I've never forgotten that and I finally bought one a few years ago, and I did run a couple rolls of film through it. But mostly I bought it because it is a jewel, and the kind of mechanical marvel that hasn't been made for decades and I doubt will be made again.

My first slr was a Canon AE-1 Program. It's a beautiful silver and black body. I have a little disposable income so I've considered picking one up with a 50mm lens. Just a memory that I think it'd be nice to have in tangible form. That camera really ignited my passion for photography.

Who collects older gear and why? Anything in particular you have a special fondness for?
I wouldn't say collect for myself. At one time I used every camera. I do have gear I just don't want to part with. Nikon F2's, the plain F2 with no meter just the viewfinder, a couple of F2a's and my favorite several F2AS two of them modified by Sover Wong. Have all the viewfinders, motor drives and other parts for the F2's. F3hp's with all the other stuff for it. F4 with different motor drives, winders , viewfinders and other stuff. Have my first camera and old box camera. Most of the AIS lenses and all kind of flash units. Everyone was in use until digital came around and became very useful. Oh boy I hope I won't be on the TV series hoarders!

Latest posts

Top Bottom