Do you collect any older camera gear?

The only older gear I have are the Nikon lenses I haven't been able to sell. :)

Some old cameras are pretty neat looking. I would like to see images of the 2 that Ken mentioned.

Still have the AE-1P I got in the early 80's. Used it until 2004ish when I switched to digital and to Nikon. Still have my D70 also. Now using a pair of D300's

I don't keep gear I don't use. And I'm pretty practical and consider gear as the "tools" that allow me to create images. If I decide to upgrade, it is generally because a body or lens is not meeting my needs. So I almost always sell the item being replaced as a way to help fund the new item. I don't have a lot of gear, but I am currently extremely happy with what I have and I can do just about any type of photography I want with it.
Ditto.

I started collecting gear that reminds me of the early days.
  • An Exakta, somewhat similar to my father's camera.
  • A Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL, like my first SLR.
  • A 4x5, just to have and use a LF camera.
  • A Hasselblad, just to have one of my grail cameras. It was cheaper than my D70. So it was finally affordable.

I don't collect, but I do save pieces of nostalgia.

My first real camera was a Nikkormat FTn with a Nikkor 50mm f2. Used it to shoot H.S. newspaper and yearbook photos, still have it and it still works. When I left for college, I bought my father a Nikon F with Photomic FTn prism and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 S. He was a long-time Leica shooter, but was beginning to seriously need reading glasses and found it difficult to see lens aperture settings, shutter speed, focusing, etc. With the F, he could see what he needed to in the viewfinder, it was easy to see focus, and he absolutely loved it. He shot it for the rest of his life. I have it now as a fond memory of him. Still works as new.

Anytime that I think that my current Nikons are too heavy, I pull out one of these Old Guys and shoot it for a day. Afterwards, I stop whining!

JLH

Some see their gear only as a device to do a job. When something better comes along they sell it and move on. I understand that feeling, Karen, and have no issue with it. After all, its just a piece of metal, glass, plastic, whatever. I have a personal thing however that I get attached to an object. I guess it starts with my technical background. In a device I see the many smart people who brought it to life. Add to that its a product of that moment, of that era and level of technology. Then I remember the experiences I had while using that device, normally very good ones! I made the mistake of selling my two Canon FT QL's and all my wonderful prime lens and Booster device back in the 1990's to help pay for my switch to a new Nikon N70. Those two cameras had literally been around the world with me from a war in Vietnam to a couple of years living in Germany and traveling in Europe, then back home to travel the US. In the 1990's I finally made the switch to Nikon and at the time needed the cash to fund the new N70 and let them go. I have regretted that many times.
So now, I do not consider myself a collector, although there are a few nice old cameras I wish I had picked up along the way when I had the chance. But, perhaps I am a hoarder as I hold on to all my current cameras even when I upgrade. I have all but one of my digital cameras starting with my Olympus C-2100 2MP with that nice 10X stabilized zoom lens, then my Panasonic Lumix with that "Leica" lens. They all still work and its too late to sell them, but I don't care. They all carry fond memories of my photographic journey. So, does that make me a collector or a hoarder or just too stupid to know when to let go of an old camera? :)

I do collect a little... short story behind it: when I was ready to turn the nursery into my office, I decided on a B&W photography theme. I found a TV hutch that has glass front doors and decided it would make a nice little camera "museum" display case. I would take a pic and post it but I'm too lazy. Since then I've acquired an F5, F4, F3, some old Minolta SR101's, a Zeiss Ikon waist level camera, a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder? and a few other things I'm not even sure what they are! :) My goal is focus on Nikon, and eventually have the entire F lineup in there. Not everything works, but the important ones do (all the F's are in great shape) and I actually even use them occasionally. OK, I used to use them occasionally; haven't taken a film shot in about a year now. Sigh.

Not necessarily a collector but a keeper of memories -
1. My first SLR - FE my dad bought new in 78. The F3 came around used in late 90s. Have the flash too.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 and 3 are the 8mm movie cam by dad used. He was thrilled it could do slow motion to capture our golf swings in 70s and 80s.

Next 2 are my father-in-law's. He was a USAF pilot. I think he picked these up on base. He passed a away a year ago in May. He made great photos of my wife's family with these. I put new batteries and shot a roll of film in the Canon. Works well.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
This belonged to my Great Aunt. I shared it before in the Focus Stacking thread. It is an early 1900’s Eastman Kodak Autographic. I don’t collect cameras, but this one is special. All the black paint and leather that once covered the bellows has long since dried out and flaked off. I actually find this look quite attractive artistically.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not necessarily a collector but a keeper of memories -
1. My first SLR - FE my dad bought new in 78. The F3 came around used in late 90s. Have the flash too.
1View attachment 1660389
2 and 3 are the 8mm movie cam by dad used. He was thrilled it could do slow motion to capture our golf swings in 70s and 80s.
View attachment 1660392View attachment 1660391
Next 2 are my father-in-law's. He was a USAF pilot. I think he picked these up on base. He passed a away a year ago in May. He made great photos of my wife's family with these. I put new batteries and shot a roll of film in the Canon. Works well.
View attachment 1660393
View attachment 1660390
Very cool gear ! I had never heard of that model Canon.

Very cool gear ! I had never heard of that model Canon.
Thanks!

I believe he picked up the Canon on PX . Apparently, the "T" is non Japan market camera. I took it to Ace Photo to check out and their Canon guru had not heard of this model too. Might have been the cheapest in the lineup at the time. Very similar to my FE with match needle metering.

Real Name
Chris
Old thread for sure, but classic cameras are timeless ...

Here's a baker's dozen of mine, in no particular order:

Nikon N80, I bought this new in the early '00s. It was my third Nikon camera:
N80.jpg

Mamiya M645. This was the first camera I ever bought myself (I had been gifted a couple previously.)
M645J.jpg

Olympus OM1n. Bought new in the 1980s. Still use it often.
OM1n.jpg

Speaking of Olympus, here's an odd one, the AutoEye rangefinder. I hand colored the paper vulcanite, cause that color scheme looks real cool. I gave this to an online friend because he needed a film camera. I also wrote up a page explaining all the machinisms you need to go through to use it in manual manual mode:
olyautoeye.jpg

The Nikon FG is possibly the most under-rated Nikon SLR ever. I've bought two, the chrome top, and later, an all black model. Two copies of the 43-86mm f/3.5 Nikkor too, as that lens seems perfect for the camera. The first one that was stolen:
FG.jpg

The second one, which I bought right after getting my insurance check from the 2011 burglary. Pictured here with the 35mm f/2 AIs lens.
FG2.jpg

Leica M4P. Like the FG, I bought two, this was my first one, it was also stolen in 2011:
onsmallpod.jpg

I replaced it as soon as I found a good price:
m4p15mm061717.jpg

Everybody needs a monorail view camera, right? Here's my Grover 5x7, the negatives are lucious, but quite the feat to develop!
viewcamera2.jpg

The Polaroid. I traded the forensics professor across the hall, a busted up Nikon F for this un-used One Step Closeup Police Special:
onestep.jpg

Now for some classic Digitals. I bought the D100 the same week as it became available, paying a premium of course. I'd been waiting for digital to arrive for a long time:
D100.jpg

Before I got the D100, my digicam was the Coolpix 950. I don't have it anymore, but I recently bought the last camera in the series of twisty bodies, the Coolpix 4500:
CoolPix4500.JPG

I also had the first Lytro camera. I still have (and occasionally use it) but it's been largely replaced with the newer and bigger Lytro Illum. the picture is out of focus, because that's what it makes:
illum.jpg

That's all (for now).

Last edited:
Guess I'll add a shot.....
Still shooting with this one too!

I don't collect old cameras per se, I just don't sell off older gear. An old Twin Lens Ansco, first year Nikon F (with a cloth shutter!), Burke and James 8x10 from around 1950, Gundlach 8x10 from c.1902, and too many more!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I don't collect old cameras per se, I just don't sell off older gear. An old Twin Lens Ansco, first year Nikon F (with a cloth shutter!), Burke and James 8x10 from around 1950, Gundlach 8x10 from c.1902, and too many more!
Wow! I remember these old shutters made of cloth. I think it's about 55 years ago I saw the last one...

Kind regards
Klaus

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Nikon F4(S)
D3S_0009.JPG

F801
D3S_0010.JPG

Still fun to shoot. And that sweet shutter sound
Klaus

My first slr was a Canon AE-1 Program. It's a beautiful silver and black body. I have a little disposable income so I've considered picking one up with a 50mm lens. Just a memory that I think it'd be nice to have in tangible form. That camera really ignited my passion for photography.

Who collects older gear and why? Anything in particular you have a special fondness for?
My first camera was a Canon AE-1 as well. I don’t collect old gear so I sold mine on eBay several years ago.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom