1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you collect Photographic prints?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jebster, Jul 21, 2008.

1. jebster

jebster

Mar 8, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff
    Hi,

I have always been a collector!

When I was young it was baseball cards, comic books....

Then Antique porcelain advertising signs, old glass bottles....

Now Nikon Cameras and glass!

Next, original photographic prints by "famous" photographers.

This is new to me, what makes a print an "original" vs mass produced copy.

Its kinda confussing but I learning as I go.

I've chosen photojournlistic prints to collect.

I'm find that this may be an expensive endevor! LOL!

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. I try not to collect much of anything. I get bothered by clutter when I see items around that I haven't used in a while. I am too poor to support my hobbies and collect art.

3. jebster

jebster

Mar 8, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff
    I hear you Allen!

My first purchases were two prints by Russell C Aikins , a industrial/commercial photographer from NY. He was active in the 1940s-60s. He shot a lot of the steel mills in there area, I've seen some Minning shots of his as well.

Jeff

4. Yes - I have a fair sized and representative collection of images from 1840s daguerreotypes to early 20th century prints. My favorites are glass, ambros, dags, or paper images of photographers at work.

Images can be expensive. Early daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, tintypes, and earlty paper images tended to be portraits and family images. Unless they are of someone well known, they usually don't get much interest. The most collectible are famous people, occupationals, outdoor image (especially the very earliest processes), events (American Civil War, Crimean War, etc), stereo pairs, and encased images.

This may be a good time to start a collection of photojournalism images. I expect 21st centurey and late 20th century can be fairly affordable except for those from the best known photographers.

A good source of information might be the phptography curators at Rochester House, the Smithsonian, Christies, and Sothebys, among others. They like talking to people and will often give you their opinion on which photographers to consider collecting.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't collect original prints - there is no way I could afford to get ANY of the photos I like!

But I do collect books by some of my favorite photographers and painters: Mapplethorpe, Diebenkorn, Avedon, Paula Rego, Mark Rothko, Sally Mann, Ralph Gibson, Hunter S. Thompson, Cindy Sherman, collections and criticism by Szarkowski, Terry Barrett, Graham Clark, James Danziger, and more. I go to second hand bookstores where these collections are quite affordable.

And I go to just about any museum where stuff I like is shown to see the real thing up close.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.