1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you ever totally blow your settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Aug 15, 2009.

1. How often do you stuff your settings? I tell myself to CHECK CHECK CHECK, but self does not listen.

I am a bit furious with myself, 55 years of off and on picture taking, and it looks like I would remember to check my settings. I reckon it happens to all of us now and then, but last week I went out 3 days and blew the settings on two of them. Once was a dragon hunt, and the camera was not on spot, so got a lot of pics of pretty dragon wings. The next time, I had been trying to shoot micro MF DOF pics, something I have no luck at. I never changed back.

I then went to my favorite place to shoot, Rose Hill Cemetery, as a storm came in. I was using the 12/24 to shoot some low angle perspective shots. Seduced by the great DOF of that lens I was not looking through the eye piece to compose so never noticed the AF light. :mad:  Oh well.

Yes I missed the settings on manual cameras, but not a whole role of film. With diminished eyesight, I have become too dependent on the auto factor of our little computers. I need to put a microdot post-it in my eyepiece.:smile:
    I just can't seem to remember, poop in poop out.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Me too. Like ISO... you'd think I could remember to check ISO first. :smile:

The camera feature that I need is a menu that says "save all the current settings, as it is right now". Then a button on the back that says "tell me if the settings dont match that saved list of default settings". Then I could push the one button and it could tell me "Dummy, your ISO is 1600 and your flash compensation is +1.7EV, and flash mode is Commander instead of TTL". But I wonder if I would remember to push that button each time? :smile:

3. I remember attending a workshop by John Shaw, when everybody was using film. At the beginning John said: "I have made the same mistakes you have."
    You seem to be in good company.
    There is only one way, that I know of, of minimizing the mistakes and it is shooting the camera at default. Many photographers are afraid of shooting JPEG because they believe the quality is not going to be there. The same goes with Adobe RGB and sRGB but I do not want to start a war in your thread.
    I will only say that I am yet to see enlargements shot in both color spaces and with both files where I was able to pick one as better than the other.
    If you ever shoot JPEG in the sRGB color space (camera default) all you have to do is to reset the camera prior to a shooting. Just keep in mind that your custom functions will not reset, it has to be done manually in the menus.
    We all make mistakes. Is there any other way to gain experience?

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

4. Oh I NEVER make mistakes---------I just screw up royally!!!!

My most common mistake is to leave the camera on mirror lock, so it takes 2 presses of the shutter release to fire--yeah, and the next time I think it's broken and freak out. I've missed looking at ASA, WB, F, exposure comp, shutter and focus mode so many times I no longer laugh or cry.
    What we need in addition to Wayne's "save all the current settings, as it is right now". and "tell me if the settings dont match that saved list of default settings" buttons is one that says "Put this bank back to users preferred settings".
    I thought my daughter was irresponsible when we went on a shoot and she brought along 2 dead batteries. That view of her changed when I forgot to bring along a camera one day :mad: 

5. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Doesn't come close to the day that I walked out to our rural mail box (we live on a busy suburban street), was getting my mail out when I happened to notice my white boxers. I had forgot that I was in my skivies. Really hard to walk casually back to the house in your underwear.

6. Hope you got some good mail at least!!!!!!

7. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    Been there, done that.

Because of that I forced myself to always reset camera to my defaults after each shoot, also I have put things I change during the shoot into 'my menu' in camera.

Because of that I only have to take a look at the buttons, check ISO/WB/QUALITY
    and scan through my menu in camera. Takes few seconds after a while.

8. if i'm not sure i reset the custom stuff on the D90 and change a few things the way i like them

but i usually try to set ISO and things like that back after shooting

witch reminds my the D90 is still on ISO 1600 from last night

9. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    i forget stuff all the time as well ISO, EV, etc. Luckily i catch the problem after a few shots though. I attended a workshop led by pro George Lepp last week and he forgot to change some things in camera as well. Happens to all of us i guess.

10. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I've have done worse then any of the above. Went to Orange Beach Alabama this summer with the intention going to Fla to watch the Blue Angles practice. When I opened my camera bag, there was no camera. I did not check my bag before I left Ohio.

11. Ooooooh that must have really hurt.

12. Well it seems to happen to everyone, except the pros,:rolleyes:  they get paid to check their settings, as it is life or death for them, but it was just not few shots on wrong ISO, the whole day was stuffed. My problem is I am a photographer of opportunity, thus I carry everything with me at all times, and with in a few hours, will have been through 4 different lens and tubes, all that switching around leaves a lot of room to mess up, plus in Rose hill cemetery I was ambushed by a TV crew doing a story, after being interview by that cute little reporter, :Love: I totally forgot about my previous micro setup.

Oh well, "shes gonna put me ion the movies, shes gonna make a big star out me" so don't guess the day was a total lose:biggrin:

13. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Remembering to set ISO is the bane of my existence. I'm much happier now with the D90, rather than D80.

14. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Changing my ISO is probably the most forgotten mistake I make but also changing back EV settings. I'm trying to get better though. Before each shoot to get my camera out and go through all the settings. There are times when I'm doing a shoot outside and with the lighting changing and location sometimes I forget to change them back.

15. I try to remember to put all my settings back to how they started at the end of each shoot before I put the camera away.

Doesn't always work.

16. I did just this morning! The list is long, but let's just say I'll make sure I have more coffee in my system before I go out before the crack of dawn again. :redface:

17. Leaving the CF in the USB reader is my recurring boner move. I started throwing a spare in the bag.

18. I'm glad to hear about all the people forgetting to check their ISO settings. This is the big one for me. I recently forgot I'd set ISO on my D70s to 600 (to cope with a low-light situation), then went out and took 700 shots at a family event held outdoors on a sunny day.

Then I come back to examine the shots and I've got noise in all my sunny pics! AArrrggh,.

19. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I blow settings all the time. Usually one of two things happen: 1) it's super bright out and I change the exposure to something inappropriate based on how the picture looks in the LCD. or 2) I forget to change the white balance and get some awful hues.

~Chad

20. yep. Forgetting to change iso back to 200 and with both film and digital FORGET I had bracketing on or compensation. I know there are indicators but never seem to notice em.

Oh and a trip to some local caves where I grabbed lenses, shoulder bag, everything but the dang camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.