1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you folks calibrate your monitors?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by bill-e, Aug 2, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi folks,

Do you and if you do, what do you use? I noticed a couple of inexpensive, <$100, tools on Amazon, Pantone Huey and the Spyder2.

2. Ditto here.

3. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I recently got the Huey Pro as well as a new monitor.

It's probably the best thing I've done to improve my photography.
    I always thought pictures straight out of the D200 and now D300 were pretty poor and I had to do lots of processing to correct this.
    But since I bought the above, I realize they are great.
    And it's was my old (uncalibrated) monitor that was producing dull and flat images.
    So in theory I should revisit my gallery and reprocess them all.

Buy some calibration software, you'll see the World differently :smile:

4. Use Eye One Match Display (i1match)... Works pretty good...

5. Gretag MacBeth Eye II.

6. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Kidnapped

Don't mean to kidnap the OP's thread, but am interested in hands on experience iMAC users have with Spyder 2, particularly gamma settings?

7. Gretag MacBeth eye1 display 2

8. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    i use the spyder 3 pro (dual monitors).

9. I use the Eye 1 also.

10. Eyone display II hardware , and Colornavigator software.

11. I use Pantone Eye-One Display 2 with multiple monitors. Also have the Pantone Huey, but it is good for only single monitor; however, I find that it is not quite as good a performer as the Eye-One Display 2 FWIW.

Regards,

12. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I found the X-Rite Eye-One Display LT at JR Music for $136 delivered. Seems to be the best price so far and my web searches have given the Eye-One the edge over the other low cost units. I'm still researching and searching for prices.

Amazon just spoted me $50 towars this by refunding me on a lens I bought in June so I'll probably hit the buy button today :) 

13. I've only calibrated iMacs with an EyeOne, not a Spyder, but I hope I can help.

If your Spyder offers full functionality, you'll be able to choose White Point, Luminance and Gamma:

> White Point: Native. Don't try to force a non-native white point, you won't get much joy. The native white point should be somewhere in the 6000-7000 range anyway, so it's fine.

> Luminance: This is personal preference, but 100-120 is usually recommended. Personally I go for 80-100, which is a good representation of prints under regular lighting. But you'll probably have to try a few different settings to see what suits you.

> Gamma: 2.2. No questions. Forget about that old "1.8 for Macs" adage.

14. sic1

sic1

Feb 9, 2007
    Chicago IL
    If you already have a Huey you can go to their website and look under support. There has been a recall of their Huey devices and you have do download a small program that reads your Huey's serial. Send them an email telling them you have a pink hue on your monitor and give them your serial number. They are sending me out a new Eye One at no charge and did not even ask for the Huey returned. I dont know what to do with the Huey as it does leave a terrible pink tone to your monitor.

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    eye one display

16. I tend to print from the camera (without going near a PC) then I compare my print to my monitor.

I figure if the monitor matches the print, its good enough. If not I adjust the monitor to match printed output.

17. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks

Actually that does help, so far have only used prints to get a rough calibration, very tedious. No problem on the gama, I hate the way my iMAC looks with a 1.8 gamma.

Mine had a noticeable blue cast until I called tech support a couple of times (extended warranty at work) and went through some steps to alleviate the problem. The first tech got quite a laugh when I read him the profiles I had created so far: "Too Blue, Mac with Blue Cheese, Blue on Blue, and Sacramento Blues."

Need to look more into the specific calibration devices and their capabilities.

Thanks
    Ed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  18. Yes, I use Spider 3. My calibration showed that my screen was too light, resulting in darker prints. I corrected the screen and the prints turned out the way I wanted them to look.

19. Spyder 2 for me as well. I won't edit without a calibrated monitor.

20. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Yes I do.

Eye-One Display 2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.