Do you have a camera on you at all times?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I saw this question asked in another forum and wondered if asked here, what the response would be. Do you always have a camera on you or within reach for those unexpected "Kodak moments" or "once in a lifetime" things that happen every so often?

If you do, what camera do you carry and if it is a DSLR, what lens? I have considered getting a D40x for that very purpose because it seems that my D200 is never where I need it when a great shot reveals itself to me. I have not seen a pocket camera that will capture images in waning light or if the subject is moving which is frequently the case in spontaneous moment shots.

So what do you carry if you do and if you don't what are your thoughts on what would be a good setup to carry?

2. most of the time.. but my dslr is too big most of the time, so i have my rangefinder with me with a 50 f1.4 attached.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nope, I can't take it a lot of places I go during work

4. I almost always have a camera with the 18-200 in my car. But the one I carry with me wherever I go is the Nokia N95.

5. Cell phone camera, although I never think to use it spontaneously. Keeping the gear in the truck is about as close as my spine hopes to get to always being ready to shoot.

Sean

6. Olympus Camedia C-350 Zoom, normally always in my pocket or bag. Used to be the same back when i was still shooting film, had the Nikon SLR's but generally carried one of the Olympus trip models around with me, old habits die hard i guess.

7. I seem to have a camera with me only when the light is bad, I'm with others and/or in a hurry. :biggrin:

8. I approach my photography differently. I am deliberate when I go out to capture images, often with a plan ahead of time. Going without a camera other times causes me to think about a shot when one reveals itself, and if possible I will plan a way to capture that later with my gear. May miss some grab shots but often get the shots I am out for.

9. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I carry my trusted Canon G2 with me at all times ... it is older and a bit slower but gives great results.

10. I leave my camera bag on top of a filing cabinet close to the door. I simply pick it up whenever I leave- even if it is just running down to a local store or something.

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i bought a canon S410 for that purpose, but even that camera's turned out to be a little too big to carry everywhere. i do have my cellphone which has a camera, but the images it produces really aren't worth anything.

i'm keeping an eye on fuji's new releases to see if they make something that could replace my S410.

ricky

12. I keep my D200 in the truck all the time, one of the advantages of being self employed. Right now I keep the 18-70 on it but I think I'm gonna purchase the 18-250 Tamron this week.

13. Yes!

Now it is a Nikon D2Hs, used to have an 85/1.4 on it at all time now I put the 17-55 on it

14. I have 2 to 5 bodies and 2 to 10 lenses in my car nearly every day.

15. Now I do, my Apple iPhone. Takes pretty darned good 2MP photos.

:smile::smile:

16. I don't keep my camera with me at all times...yet. I've just struck a deal to get a D70 which will allow me to leave my D200 w/grip at home. I just find it too combersome to carry it around. Add to that the fact that I'd have to attach the Beast, the Tokina 12-24, or the 70-200 to the front of it, and I'm sure you can see why I'm getting the D70. Hopefully, this will free me from the anchor, and revive my interest in photography - which has recently started to fade.

17. Thanks for your responses. I find this very interesting. I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned the D40x. I thought this might be just the camera to carry anywhere anytime. It seems a pretty good compromise for weight vs function. It is not as functional as a D200 or D80, but seems more responsive than most pocket cams.

Is there something about that camera that prevents you from getting it, or is it just laying out another $500 or so on top of everything you have already invested (which is my problem)?

Those of you who carry pocket cams. Do you ever wish you had a DSLR like the D40/D80 instead of the pocket cam for those quick grab shots?

There have been so many times when I have said, Oh man why don't I have my camera and I keep on promising myself that I will carry my D200, but never seem to.

Where is the best deal now on a D40x?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  18. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Where's Connie? I wanna say that she's said she carries the D40 with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens on it.....

19. I have my bag packed and ready to go but I do not carry it with me unless I plan to photography or else I have reason to suspect that I will. I do take it on trips when I go.

20. I tried to carry a Coolpix L3, but it just wasn't the same. That's why I decided on the D70. I don't see a better "bang for the buck" around.