Do you know what this is?

I had never heard of this until I recently had a need for it. I'll provide clues if someone doesn't soon identify it.

Setup
The background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was immediately to the right of the camera. Three white reflectors -- one below, one above and one to the right of the subject -- added bright tones to the subject. The red thingy is a texture from InfiniteTexturePanel.com.

Mike 2020-02-13--011-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Since you have a glass of wine from time to time I am going to guess some type of aerator/pourer.

I had never heard of this until I recently had a need for it. I'll provide clues if someone doesn't soon identify it.

Setup
The background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was immediately to the right of the camera. Three white reflectors -- one below, one above and one to the right of the subject -- added bright tones to the subject. The red thingy is a texture from InfiniteTexturePanel.com.

View attachment 1655258
[/QUOTE]

Looks like it is for preparing food of some sort. Like de-boning small fish or something such. Used to use something that looked similar to remove the backbone from mullet to use them for marlin bait. Now they just use artificials :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like it is for preparing food of some sort.
Dan is on the right track. I'll also add that the device is usually made with the top piece in lengths about 8" or 13" long and that the thing on the bottom slides along the entire length of the top piece. The slider is displayed in the photo near the end of the device.

Oh, it's for larding meat.
For the second day in a row Nick gets a virtual gold star on his forehead. It's called a larding needle.

My plan for my 70th birthday at the end of the year is to prepare a four-course meal of the kind that Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin would have enjoyed together in Paris or Philadelphia. The main dish will be beef a la mode and the beef will be prepared using the larding needle to add lard to it.

Last edited:
For the second day in a row Nick gets a virtual gold star on his forehead. It's called a larding needle.

My plan for my 70th birthday at the end of the year is to prepare a four-course meal of the kind that Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin would have enjoyed together in Paris or Philadelphia. The main dish will be beef a la mode and the beef will be prepared using the larding needle to add lard to it.
YUM!
Wine to match?

Wine to match?
A vertical of 2014, 2015 and 2016 Brane-Cantenac. I haven't found any information that Jefferson or Franklin drank wine from that Chateau, but it was in existence long before they were born and became classified as a second-growth grand cru after they died. Jefferson drank Chateaux Margaux wine and Brane-Cantenac is in the Margaux region, so there is lots of historical basis for including it in our special dinner. I'll eventually get around to making a photo of the vertical.

Hav you thought of dressing in period costumes?
My childhood friend, who will come from South Carolina to attend, suggested something similar. She often hosts themed dinner parties where people have to dress in period clothing, do role playing as a particular person, or research and recite or explain details pertinent to the theme. She urged me to require something along that line. However, I decided not to because it's bad enough that everyone is going to have to put up with me explaining the historic details of the food and wine being served. Another reason is that two of the people are unusually busy and probably wouldn't want to have to take the time to make such preparations especially during the busy period shortly before Christmas.

I might let everyone know that they can optionally be prepared to tell their favorite Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson story.

I haven't found any information that Jefferson or Franklin drank wine from that Chateau
Ah ha! I just now found information in an article published by Vinous in January 2019 that Thomas Jefferson rated the wine a third growth grand cru in 1787 (before the official 1855 classification rated it a second growth). At the time, the estate was named Domaine Guilhem Hosten. However, a highly authoritative book I have that is copyrighted 2006 does not include the wine in any of Jefferson's ratings.

Last edited:
Too bad 1950 made such terrible wine around the world.
Speaking of 50, I have a high-end wine from Mondavi released on its 50th anniversary to enjoy on our 50th wedding anniversary. Speaking of even more numbers, it just now occured to me that our anniversary takes place 13 years from now and that the wine's vintage is 2013. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today.

Speaking of 50, I have a high-end wine from Mondavi released on its 50th anniversary to enjoy on our 50th wedding anniversary. Speaking of even more numbers, it just now occured to me that our anniversary takes place 13 years from now and that the wine's vintage is 2013. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today.
Or, at the very least, have a drink of wine.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom