1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you like the D700 colors?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Aug 27, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Seems to be very different from my D2H / S5 Pro or even D200. I am not saying this is good or bad just saying it is very different. S5 pro color is brilliant and D2H was no slouch. The D200 was OK but D700 is just different. Not sure whether I like/dislike it so far.

I also tried the D2X modes but did not like it...

What is your experience and opinion??

2. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    What do you mean by 'colors'?

Do you mean the general color output accuracy of your photos? Because that is controlled by the profile used in your RAW converter. I'm using LR2 and I have their beta Camera Profiles installed which let you use profiles nearly identical to the Nikon Picture Styles. So in this case the colors are not a factor of the camera, but of the RAW converter. Unless of course you are shooting JPG, in that case I cannot comment as I never shoot JPG.

If your shooting RAW and want your color output to look like your other cameras we need to know more about what post processing your doing.

Or

Do you mean do I like how well the camera can pick up fine color gradations within subjects such as fabrics, etc? In that case yes, this camera to me seems to be without equal in that regard. It produces the most detailed color reproductions in a DSLR I have ever used.

3. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Colors are different than D2H/D200 (never used D300) using Capture NX using same settings or defaults.

4. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I'm finding them to generally be more over-saturated than I like. And I like over-saturated colors (I was a long time Fuji slide film shooter) so that's saying something.

I've started using the Neutral setting, with saturation bumped up 1. The standard setting is too saturated. "Vivid" is insane!

5. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

There is no relevant difference in the original, i.e. raw color recording, the spectral responses of the color filters are apparently the same.

In other words, of there is some big difference, that is due to the raw conversion.

6. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I was referring to JPEGS.

7. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

The JPEGs are converted from raw, either in-camera or in the computer. The point is, that the color difference is probably not due to difference between the sensors but to the interpretation of the data.

Of course, all that does not mitigate the fact, that you see different (better) colors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.